Re: SV: [ANE-2] Population of Canaan?

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
      Could this again be running up against the question of )LP = 'military company of a few men' rather than = '1000'?

      An army of 1.3 - 1.57 million men is about the size of the US's peacetime standing army.

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
        At 12:16 AM 2/4/2007, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:
        >... It has to do with the maximum amount of people that the land
        >itself can support, the state of agriculture in mind. Of course
        >there will be regional and periodical fluctuations. ...

        One of my pet peeves :(

        A few years ago (2000?) I found some 2nd mbc population estimates in
        a paper to be strange and I looked more deeply into the subject,
        tracing publications and references and running some population
        models. Unfortunately I archived my photocopies and notes in some box
        - but didn't index the location. So generalities from memory ...

        Many of the more recent papers (80's & 90's) used "magic" numbers,
        coefficients in calculations, taken from much older publications
        which made assumptions that were more romantic than realistic. Some
        of the recent publications tried to correct certain of these
        assumptions, but one at a time so the overall calculations were still
        off. Some examples:

        Minimal per day caloric intake was estimated too high, as if the ANE
        people lived on modern western middle class standards. Flock herding
        and sedentary agriculture are not high energy expenditure jobs, and
        there are no Pyramids in the Levant.

        There are estimates of food yield per surface area. If I recall
        correctly some of the more recent publications changed those figures
        for cultivable lands based on real life examples. But these estimates
        were for agricultural fields. What I didn't see in any publication is
        taking into account that the Levant is not only the home of wheat but
        of other very high energy foods that grow practically everywhere (and
        require very little labor) - olives, almonds, etc.

        Another type of estimate is people per building. My impression was
        that they were low.

        And I didn't like the way the estimates were calculated as static
        numbers per long period.

        First reason - the Levant is at the mercy of climate. I didn't find
        population estimates coupled with climatic evidence.

        But the worst is the total disregard to natural population growth. If
        I recall correctly, given optimal conditions human populations double
        every 12 years. The only real data we have on realistic conditions
        that reflect various conditions of living are from the last century
        or so - during which the overall human population doubled about every
        40 years .

        That means that an estimate of a Canaan population of 100,000 for the
        1st year of the 13th cbc will result, using today's population growth
        rate, in a population of 600,000 people by the end of that century
        and 3,600,000 by the end of the 12th CBC.

        I find these population estimates misleading because they ignore the
        rate of reproduction driving the population growth on one hand, and
        the factors that curb that growth, or cause major drops in the
        population size, on the other. It's the interplay between these
        opposing factors that reflects what is historically interesting, not
        average numbers.

        What is more informative, to a point, are "the maximum the land can
        support" estimates. My impression back then was that the maximum
        numbers, when given, were low.

        As I was going to finish this message I saw coming in ...

        >At 07:22 PM 2/4/2007, Yigal Bloch wrote:
        >Magen Broshi's [...] the maximum possible number of the inhabitants
        >of Palestine (Cisjordan) under the conditions of pre-industrial
        >economy being c. 1 million persons

        Just speculating out loud ... The current population of Israel & the
        Palestinian Authority is (I think, unchecked) around 9 million.
        Remove all the major and medium urban centers and I'm pretty sure
        you're left with over 2 million, maybe over 3 million. My gut feeling
        is that given an average-to-wet climate a population that size can
        exist without an industrial infrastructure. And the agricultural and
        pastoral parts of that population would leave very little material
        evidence, if any, for us to find. But that's just a gut feeling.

        Ariel.

        ---
        Ariel L. Szczupak
        AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
        POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
        Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
        ane.als@...
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
          Dear George,

          Maybe as important will be the fluctuations of the climate, that in an area like Palestine, droughts are rather common (remember from my reading some two or three years in a decade). Then we have deceases, plagues and the like (like the one that decimated Asia Minor after Suppiluliumas' campaign in Syria). Rate of child deaths upon all of that, and you end up with a population that may be more stable than your figures express.

          Isn't 9.000.000 a bit high from Palestine today? Rather some 6-7.000.000. but that is also an awful lot in such a small country (about the size of Danish Jutland where you only find 1.000.000 to 1.500.000 although the climate and soil is much more favourable).

          Niels Peter Lemche

> [...]

          >of Palestine (Cisjordan) under the conditions of pre-industrial
          >economy being c. 1 million persons

          Just speculating out loud ... The current population of Israel & the
          Palestinian Authority is (I think, unchecked) around 9 million.
          Remove all the major and medium urban centers and I'm pretty sure
          you're left with over 2 million, maybe over 3 million. My gut feeling
          is that given an average-to-wet climate a population that size can
          exist without an industrial infrastructure. And the agricultural and
          pastoral parts of that population would leave very little material
          evidence, if any, for us to find. But that's just a gut feeling.

          Ariel.

          ---
          Ariel L. Szczupak
          AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
          POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
          Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Rod Nicholas
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
            Josephus claims 600,000 to 1,300,000 were killed when the Romans
            destroyed the 2nd Temple and sacked Jerusalem, 70 ce. A further
            580,000 were reputedly killed [Cassius Dio] during the Bar Kokhba
            uprising in 135 ce alone!
            One can readily find claims of a Palestine population from 25,000 to
            6 million leading up to the Christian [sic] era.
            The claimed deaths in wars during the Seleucid era would even wipe
            out most of those numbers?
            Pompeii in 63 BCE killed a 'quick' 12,000.
            What of natural attrition; high infant mortality, disease
            drought and pestilence?
            Logic would surely dictate the lower end of estimates for all these
            demographics?

            Rod Nicholas
            Melbourne
            Australia
          • Ariel L. Szczupak
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 4, 2007
              At 10:54 PM 2/4/2007, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

              >Dear George,

              George, Ariel, what's in name? :)

              >Maybe as important will be the fluctuations of the climate, that in
              >an area like Palestine, droughts are rather common (remember from my
              >reading some two or three years in a decade).

              Occasional dry and wet years are part of the "climate". The climate
              changes when multi-year average indicators (temperature,
              precipitation, etc) change significantly. If I recall correctly in
              geological terms we are now in a drier-than-average climate for this
              area. A few drought years in a row is something that can be endured -
              but when it gets to 7 drought years in a row ... :)

              >Then we have deceases, plagues and the like (like the one that
              >decimated Asia Minor after Suppiluliumas' campaign in Syria). Rate
              >of child deaths upon all of that, and you end up with a population
              >that may be more stable than your figures express.

              The 20th century growth rate includes two world wars and assorted
              others, the Spanish Flu pandemic, the spread of the Sahara to what
              were once fertile lands, child deaths in Africa and Mao's
              one-child-per-family, etc. It's a "real" growth rate.

              I don't believe that the population in Canaan grew by a factor of 36
              in 200 years - but it should have. Stating "static" population
              estimates per archeological period of several hundred years hides the
              historically interesting question - why didn't the population grow so
              much. Whatever happened back then, it wasn't some kind of stable
              population utopia.

              >Isn't 9.000.000 a bit high from Palestine today? Rather some 6-7.000.000.

              Yep, I was wrong. Israel's population is 7.1 million (Nov 2006,
              Israeli bureau of statistics). Palestinian Authority - 3.9 million
              (mid 2006, Palestinian bureau of statistics). Total - 11 million.
              [But there are reservations concerning the Palestinian number, saying
              it's inflated by at least 1 million - I have no idea if that's true or not]

              Since the Israeli bureau of statistics has a spreadsheet with
              population per location ...

              http://www.cbs.gov.il/population/new_2007/table3.xls

              ... I calculated the number of people in places that have less than
              25,000 people - about 2 million. [For those familiar, 25K people is
              about the size of Ofakim or Yahud].

              >but that is also an awful lot in such a small country

              Tell me about it :)

              >(about the size of Danish Jutland where you only find 1.000.000 to
              >1.500.000 although

              Western Europe is a negative factor in the global population growth
              rate. I'm too tired to check if it's because it's a slower growth
              rate or actually a negative growth rate (population shrinking).

              >the climate and soil is much more favourable).

              Denmark favorable to human habitation? You mean the Vikings went
              raiding for fun and not out of necessity?

              >Niels Peter Lemche

              Ariel.

              ---
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
                At 01:13 AM 2/5/2007, Rod Nicholas wrote:

                >Josephus claims 600,000 to 1,300,000 were killed when the Romans ...

                The Roman period added public works - roads, aqueducts, etc. I
                suppose that increased the maximum number of people the land could
                support. It is also the time of the Nabateans which may indicate more
                rainfall in the area. But I don't know much about that period so I'll
                leave this to others.

                [later ...]

                Found this:

                http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0010/001036/103637E.pdf

                Arie S. Issar, "Impacts of climate variations on water management and
                related socio-economic systems", UNESCO 1995.

                P.24:

                "From about 2,300 to 1,700 BP a global cold period occurred. In the
                opinion of Issar (1990a) this was the early stage of a mini-glacial
                period ... The more benign climate in the desert of Judea and Edom promoted the
                flourishing of the Nabatean kingdom which was established in the
                first century B.C."

                >What of natural attrition; high infant mortality, disease
                >drought and pestilence?

                These are included in the 20th century global growth rate. The point
                is that if the Canaanite population did not grow at the rate we know
                from the 20th cad, what were the causes?

                >Logic would surely dictate the lower end of estimates for all these
                >demographics?

                [I associate "logic" with formal, strict arguments, which is not the
                case. I'd prefer something like "reason".]

                Why? The material evidence doesn't suggest stagnant societies. It
                suggests cycles of expansions followed by destructions or
                abandonments. Fluctuations.

                "I have water at 50C" is correct both for me having a glass of water
                at 50C and for me having two glasses, one with ice sludge and the
                other with boiling water. The statement is statistically correct in
                both cases, but it is misleading in the second case. I find
                statements of "population per archeological period" to be similarly misleading.

                Ariel.

                ---