Re: [ANE-2] History of Grammars

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
      See also Jeremy Black, Sumerian Grammar in Babylonian Theory (1984).

      The so-called Old Babylonian grammatical texts are primarly elucidations
      of Sumerian grammar, particularly verbal morphology, in terms of Akkadian
      equivalents.

      Bob Whiting
      whiting@...

      On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

      > The most accessible account of ancient Sumerian, Akkadian, and Egyptian
      > grammatical texts is found in Giulio Lepschy's History of Linguistics,
      > vol. 1. The respective authors are Miguel Civil, Erica Reiner, and Janet
      > Johnson. The volume also has chapters on the Hebrew, Arabic, Indian, and
      > Chinese (but not the Syriac) traditions.
      >
      > Vol. 2 is entirely devoted to P. H. Matthews on the Greek and Latin
      > traditions; vol. 3 covers Medieval and Renaissance grammars, and vol. 4
      > the Romantic tradition. I haven't yet seen vol. 5 (20th century) in
      > English, and there is a 6th vol. on Italian that wasn't planned to be
      > translated.
      > --
      > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

    • Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 3, 2007
        Thank you to Peter and Bob,
        This is exactly what I was looking for.

        On Feb 2, 2007, at 5:02 PM, Robert M Whiting wrote:

        > See also Jeremy Black, Sumerian Grammar in Babylonian Theory (1984).
        >
        > The so-called Old Babylonian grammatical texts are primarly
        > elucidations
        > of Sumerian grammar, particularly verbal morphology, in terms of
        > Akkadian
        > equivalents.
        >
        > Bob Whiting
        > whiting@...
        >
        > On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
        >
        > > The most accessible account of ancient Sumerian, Akkadian, and
        > Egyptian
        > > grammatical texts is found in Giulio Lepschy's History of
        > Linguistics,
        > > vol. 1. The respective authors are Miguel Civil, Erica Reiner,
        > and Janet
        > > Johnson. The volume also has chapters on the Hebrew, Arabic,
        > Indian, and
        > > Chinese (but not the Syriac) traditions.
        > >
        > > Vol. 2 is entirely devoted to P. H. Matthews on the Greek and Latin
        > > traditions; vol. 3 covers Medieval and Renaissance grammars, and
        > vol. 4
        > > the Romantic tradition. I haven't yet seen vol. 5 (20th century) in
        > > English, and there is a 6th vol. on Italian that wasn't planned
        > to be
        > > translated.
        > > --
        > > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

      • Robert M Whiting
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 2, 2007
          According to the logs, February generated the following
          message traffic (January numbers in parentheses):

          Total submissions to list
          428 (544)

          Bounced by Yahoo
          28 (33)

          Rejected
          48 (27)

          Posted to list
          352 (484)

          Number of individuals posting
          82 (98)

          Top posters (double figures)

          Niels Peter Lemche 28 (37)
          Ariel L. Szczupak 24 (14)
          Eliot Braun 20 (10)
          Andrew Fincke 20 (35)
          Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 18 (20)
          George F. Somsel 16 (26)
          Charles E. Jones 14 (13)
          Jim West 10 (8)
          Yitzhak Sapir 10 (16)

          As of the end of February, there are 763 members (752 at the end of
          January) of which 56 are unmoderated.

          Message traffic this month was lower than in January, but the month was
          three days shorter (there were also a significantly higher percentage of
          rejected posts than in the past). The one-year anniversary of the ANE-2
          list passed on February 15 without much fanfare. This is in keeping with
          the list's format as a fact- and evidence-based forum for scholarly
          discussion.

          I have noticed in the logs that a number of members have had messages
          bounced by Yahoo when they tried to post from an address other than the
          one at which they are registered. I have also noticed that some members
          change their address when they want to post. Neither of these is
          necessary since it is possible to set your account so that you can post
          from more than one email address. To do this, from the ANE-2 group's home
          page <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/>, click on the link "My Groups"
          near the top at the far right side of the page. This will take you to a
          page that lists the Yahoo groups to which you belong. Near the top on the
          right side of this page you will see a link "My Email Preferences". This
          link will take you to a page that lists all the email addresses that are
          associated with your Yahoo profile. The last column in this list is
          headed "Options". Click on the "Edit" link in the row that contains the
          email address with which you are subscribed to the ANE-2 list. This will
          take you to a page where you can enter "Alternate Posting Addresses" for
          the email address with which you are subscribed. After entering the
          alternate email address(es), do not forget to click "Save Changes" before
          navigating away from the page. If your alternate address(es) are not
          already known to Yahoo, a message will be sent to the address(es) you
          enter asking you to verify them. Once you have done this, you should be
          able to post to the list from any email address that you have entered on
          this page.

          Bob Whiting
          for the moderators
        • Robert M Whiting
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 1, 2007
            According to the logs, March generated the following
            message traffic (February numbers in parentheses):

            Total submissions to list
            563 (428)

            Bounced by Yahoo
            20 (28)

            Rejected
            58 (48)

            Posted to list
            485 (352)

            Number of individuals posting
            94 (82)

            Top posters (double figures)

            James D. Tabor 68 (0)
            Joe Zias 40 (9)
            Ariel L. Szczupak 29 (24)
            Doug Weller 24 (4)
            Yitzhak Sapir 22 (10)
            Jim West 19 (10)
            Jeffrey B. Gibson 18 (9)
            Eliot Braun 17 (20)
            Rene J. Salm 14 (0)
            Stephen Goranson 11 (4)
            Peter T. Daniels 11 (9)
            David Q. Hall 11 (0)
            Greg Doudna 10 (0)

            As of the end of March, there are 780 members (763 at the end of
            February) of which 59 are unmoderated.

            Message traffic this month was higher than in February and nearly
            identical to that of January. There were, however, a significantly higher
            percentage of rejected posts than in January. We attribute this to the
            nature of the main discussion of the month, which seems to have called
            forth a number of emotional responses to various positions. We have
            strived to maintain the list as a fact- and evidence-based forum for
            scholarly discussion and we trust that those who use the forum understand
            and accept this.

            Bob Whiting
            for the moderators
          • Robert M Whiting
            Message 5 of 27 , May 1, 2007
              According to the logs, April generated the following
              message traffic (March numbers in parentheses):

              Total submissions to list
              377 (563)

              Bounced by Yahoo
              27 (20)

              Rejected
              38 (58)

              Posted to list
              312 (485)

              Number of individuals posting
              72 (94)

              Top posters (double figures)

              Peter T. Daniels 35 (11)
              Niels Peter Lemche 21 (3)
              Charles E. Jones 14 (7)
              Jim West 13 (19)
              Ariel L. Szczupak 13 (29)
              Dierk van den Berg 12 (1)
              Robert Whiting 12 (4)
              Yitzhak Sapir 12 (22)
              Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (2)
              George F. Somsel 11 (8)

              As of the end of April, there are 795 members (780 at the end of
              March) of which 59 are unmoderated.

              Message traffic this month was lower than in March and in fact than any
              other month so far this year. In checking the logs, I note that, for the
              second year running, the birthday of Benno Landsberger on April 21 has
              gone unremarked.

              Bob Whiting
              for the moderators
            • victor
              Message 6 of 27 , May 1, 2007
                Dear ANE-ers,

                Robert remarks that for the second year running Benno Landsberger's birthday
                on 21 April went unnoticed. I deeply apologize for my negligence. I had been
                accustomed for years to announce this joyous occasion, but felt like Linus
                and the Great Pumpkin or Beethoven's birthday and that the humor was running
                a bit thin. Now that I see it has been missed I can only hope that ina recut
                ilani I will have the great privilege of resuming the custom for SAR years.

                Victor Hurowitz

                BGU Beer Sheva

                _____

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 2 7:32 AM
                  According to the logs, May generated the following
                  message traffic (April numbers in parentheses):

                  Total submissions to list
                  402 (377)

                  Bounced by Yahoo
                  36 (27)

                  Rejected
                  33 (38)

                  Posted to list
                  333 (312)

                  Number of individuals posting
                  92 (72)

                  Top posters (double figures)

                  Jim West 30 (13)
                  Niels Peter Lemche 22 (21)
                  Lisbeth S. Fried 19 (1)
                  Joe Zias 12 (8)
                  Yitzhak Sapir 12 (12)
                  Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (12)
                  Dierk van den Berg 11 (12)
                  Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (13)

                  As of the end of May, there are 811 members (795 at the end of
                  April) of which 58 are unmoderated.

                  Message traffic this month was higher than in April leaving April as the
                  slowest traffic month so far this year. Expect traffic to drop off over
                  the summer as many people are away from their computers.

                  Bob Whiting
                  for the moderators
                • Jim West
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 2 11:40 AM
                    What do I win????? This is indeed a once in a lifetime accomplishment-
                    being on a list with such luminaries.... and on the top of it!

                    --
                    Jim West, ThD

                  • Trudy Kawami
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 3 4:05 PM
                      Fame & glory (& tired fingers)
                      Trudy Kawami

                      ________________________________

                      --
                      Jim West, ThD

                      http://drjewest.googlepages.com/ <http://drjewest.googlepages.com/> -- Biblical Studies Resources
                      http://drjimwest.wordpress.com <http://drjimwest.wordpress.com/> -- Weblog

                    • Robert M Whiting
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 2, 2007
                        According to the logs, June generated the following
                        message traffic (May numbers in parentheses):

                        Total submissions to list
                        274 (402)

                        Bounced by Yahoo
                        44 (36)

                        Rejected
                        33 (33)

                        Posted to list
                        197 (333)

                        Number of individuals posting
                        74 (92)

                        Top posters (double figures)

                        Charles E. Jones 17 (7)
                        Jim West 14 (30)
                        Ariel L. Szczupak 11 (10)

                        As of the end of June, there are 818 members (811 at the end of
                        May) of which 59 are unmoderated.

                        Message traffic this month was the slowest of the year so far, which is to
                        be expected as many people (in the northern hemisphere) head for summer
                        vacations and spend less time at their computers

                        On the other hand, the number of messages bounced by Yahoo is the highest
                        of the year. Most of these are from spammers and others who are not list
                        members, but I also note that a number of members had messages bounced
                        when they tried to post from an address other than the one that they are
                        registered under.

                        I have mentioned this before, but it is possible to set your account so
[...]

                        One final note: If you intend to be away from your computer for an
                        extended period over the summer and you don't want your mailbox to fill up
                        with postings from the list, it is not necessary to leave the list in
                        order to prevent this. You can simply turn off email delivery of postings
                        without leaving the list. Just go to the group's home page,
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/>, and click on the "Edit Membership"
                        link near the top of the page (near the center beneath the advertising
                        banner). This will take you to a page where you can modify your account's
                        behavior. Under Step 2. Message Delivery select "Web Only". This will
                        turn off email delivery of either individual messages or the daily digest.
                        Don't forget to click on "Save Changes" before navigating away from the
                        page.

                        Bob Whiting
                        for the moderators
                      • Robert M Whiting
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 1, 2007
                          According to the logs, July generated the following
                          message traffic (June numbers in parentheses):

                          Total submissions to list
                          447 (274)

                          Bounced by Yahoo
                          56 (44)

                          Rejected
                          34 (33)

                          Posted to list
                          357 (197)

                          Number of individuals posting
                          78 (74)

                          Top posters (double figures)

                          Niels Peter Lemche 46 (7)
                          Jim West 19 (14)
                          David Q. Hall 18 (5)
                          Peter T. Daniels 16 (7)
                          Charles E. Jones 15 (17)
                          Dierk van den Berg 15 (0)
                          Tory Thorpe 13 (2)
                          Kevin P. Edgecomb 10 (0)
                          Frank Polak 10 (1)
                          Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 10 (1)

                          As of the end of July, there are 818 members (818 at the end of
                          June) of which 63 are unmoderated.

                          Message traffic this month was surprisingly brisk considering the time of
                          year. In fact, even without considering the time of year it was a healthy
                          month in terms of postings, having the third highest of the year to date.

                          On the other hand, the number of messages bounced by Yahoo sets another
                          monthly high mark for the year. Most of these are from spammers and
                          it is clear that the list address has made its way onto an increasing
                          number of the address lists that spammers use.

                          While the membership appears to have been static, this is an instance
                          where Occam's Razor will lead you astray. Actually, 11 new members joined
                          the list but this was exactly balanced by the 11 members who left or were
                          removed. Some who left were old stalwarts, and I assume that they left
                          the list because they were expecting to be away from their email for an
                          extended period. I have mentioned before that it is not necessary to
                          leave the list in these circumstances. In case there may be others who
                          will face the same situation this month, I will repeat the instructions
                          given previously:

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
                            According to the logs, August generated the following
                            message traffic (July numbers in parentheses):

                            Total submissions to list
                            205 (447)

                            Bounced by Yahoo
                            42 (56)

                            Rejected
                            9 (34)

                            Posted to list
                            154 (357)

                            Number of individuals posting
                            62 (78)

                            Top posters (double figures)

                            Jim West 18 (19)

                            As of the end of August, there are 823 members (818 at the end of
                            July) of which 64 are unmoderated.

                            The slump in message traffic expected in July occured in August instead.
                            August registered the lowest list participation so far this year.

                            On the other hand, the spam continued unabated as the number of messages
                            bounced by Yahoo was the third highest of the year. Only one of these
                            messages seems to have been from a list member who tried to post from the
                            wrong address.

                            Bob Whiting
                            for the moderators
                          • Robert M Whiting
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                              According to the logs, September generated the following
                              message traffic (August numbers in parentheses):

                              Total submissions to list
                              342 (205)

                              Bounced by Yahoo
                              37 (42)

                              Rejected
                              22 (9)

                              Posted to list
                              283 (154)

                              Number of individuals posting
                              77 (62)

                              Top posters (double figures)

                              Niels Peter Lemche 16 (3)
                              Jim West 15 (18)
                              Peter T. Daniels 15 (5)
                              Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 14 (5)
                              Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (5)

                              As of the end of September, there are 834 members (823 at the end of
                              August) of which 65 are unmoderated.

                              Message traffic picked from August, which was the slowest month of the
                              year. This is expected as people return to their computers at the end of
                              the summer and the new academic year begins.

                              Bob Whiting
                              for the moderators
                            • Christopher Conlan
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                Bob,

                                Is there a list of the members who are unmoderated?

                                Chris Conlan

                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                  On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Christopher Conlan wrote:

                                  > Bob,
                                  >
                                  > Is there a list of the members who are unmoderated?

                                  Yes, but it is for the private use of the moderators. However, if you
                                  have the patience you could probably make one for yourself. Each message
                                  approved by a moderator has a header added indicating who approved it and
                                  when. For example, the message you just posted and that I am replying to
                                  has the header:

                                  21:01:52 -0000

                                  Any message that doesn't have this header was posted by an unmoderated
                                  listmember. All you have to do is check the headers of the messages
                                  posted to the list and eventually you will find most of the unmoderated
                                  members. To give you a head start, all the moderators are unmoderated.
                                  A word of warning, however: some unmoderated members have yet to post to
                                  the list so you are unlikely to find them all.

                                  Bob Whiting
                                  whiting@...