Re: [ANE-2] Re: Richard Steiner and the London Medical Papyrus

  • Andrew Fincke
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2, 2007
      Dear Peter,
      Thanks for the fill-in. Here's what Steiner said (pages 1-2 of speech):
      "I've completed until now about twelve papers on the subject of
      semitic stuff in Egyptian inscriptions, 3 of them with Nims and one
      with Dr. Adina Moshvi, a Hebrew lecturer in the Hebrew
      University... A number of Semitic incantations written in Egyptian
      script have come to light from a later period (than the pyramid
      texts). In the medical papyrus from London from the 14th century BC
      there are 6 semitic incantations in hieratic script. In the Wadi
      Chamamat(?) there's an Aramaic incantation against scorpions in
      demotic script. There seem to be semitic incantations in the
      magical poison (haris?) papyrus." Wonder where all these things appeared?
      Andrew Fincke

      "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@...> wrote:
      He continued to publish in various venues for years, and a German team published similar interpretations independently shortly thereafter.

      In the early 1980s Robert Ritner brought me a stack of old photographs of the papyrus that he had discovered in the files of the Demotic Dictionary Project, and C. F. Nims found the work that he (transliteration) and the late Raymond Bowman (Aramaic interpretation) had done on the texts. About that time, Richard Steiner was commuting weekly from New York to Chicago to teach Dennis Pardee's Hebrew classes, I showed them to him, he got excited, and started working with Nims. This initial JNES publication eventuated years later. (The whereabouts of the papyrus itself were not clear then.)