Ukhat = Harimtu?

  • sbudin@camden.rutgers.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      Greetings!

      I am currently looking through Maspero's 1894 publication of _The Dawn of
      Civilization_, where, starting on pg. 575, he offers the most Victorian
      retelling of the Gilgamesh Epic I have ever seen. In his section on "The
      Seduction of Eabani" (Enkidu nowadays) he refers to Shamhat (not by name) as a
      priestess of Ishtar, with the specific title of "ukhat." Can anyone tell me
      what the current Akkadian rendering of this word is? Is this an earlier
      transliteration of "harimtu"? Any comments or bibliography would be much
      appreciated.

      Many thanks in advance!
      Stephanie Budin
    • victor avigdor hurowitz
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
        I assume that this is simply an earlier reading of $amhat because U2 can
        be read $AM. Yu might find in the same book that Eabani's friend was
        Izdubar which, were it still in vogue would be a good name for a
        Mesopotamian style pub.
        Victor Hurowitz
        BGU beer sheva