Re: [ANE-2] Re: Richard Steiner and the London Medical Papyrus

  • Andrew Fincke
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2007
      "We will pass over to the pyramid inscriptions. These inscriptions, written in the picture-script (that is hieroglyphics) represent the the earliest collection of religious Egyptian texts we have. They are etched on the inner walls of a number of pyramids, one of which is the pyramid of King Unas in Skara(?). Unas reigned in the 24th century B.C., but scholars think the texts were composed before his time."
      Andrew Fincke

      Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir@...> wrote:
      On 1/31/07, Andrew Fincke wrote:
      > Sorry, Ariel,
      > I guess I meant "hieratic" instead of "Demotic". I got confused when
      > Steiner - in the intro to his lengthy speech in Hebrew - gave an account of
      > his work

      On page 2, Prof. Steiner describes the Pyramid Texts, written in hieroglyphs
      (next to last paragraph on that page). It's easy to miss, especially
      if you want
      to do away with the introduction and get on to the substance of the speech.

      Yitzhak Sapir
    • Andrew Fincke
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 2, 2007
        Dear Peter,
        Thanks for the fill-in. Here's what Steiner said (pages 1-2 of speech):
        "I've completed until now about twelve papers on the subject of
        semitic stuff in Egyptian inscriptions, 3 of them with Nims and one
        with Dr. Adina Moshvi, a Hebrew lecturer in the Hebrew
        University... A number of Semitic incantations written in Egyptian
        script have come to light from a later period (than the pyramid
        texts). In the medical papyrus from London from the 14th century BC
        there are 6 semitic incantations in hieratic script. In the Wadi
        Chamamat(?) there's an Aramaic incantation against scorpions in
        demotic script. There seem to be semitic incantations in the
        magical poison (haris?) papyrus." Wonder where all these things appeared?
        Andrew Fincke

        "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@...> wrote:
        He continued to publish in various venues for years, and a German team published similar interpretations independently shortly thereafter.

        In the early 1980s Robert Ritner brought me a stack of old photographs of the papyrus that he had discovered in the files of the Demotic Dictionary Project, and C. F. Nims found the work that he (transliteration) and the late Raymond Bowman (Aramaic interpretation) had done on the texts. About that time, Richard Steiner was commuting weekly from New York to Chicago to teach Dennis Pardee's Hebrew classes, I showed them to him, he got excited, and started working with Nims. This initial JNES publication eventuated years later. (The whereabouts of the papyrus itself were not clear then.)