Italy breaks its word...

  • Clark Whelton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2007
      from...
      The Wall Street Journal
      January 31, 2007

      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117021752163193369.html?mod=opinion&ojcontent=otep

      Object Lesson

      By MICHAEL BRAND
      Director of the J. Paul Getty Museum

      "The question of who owns certain antiquities and where they should be shown
      faces many art museums in the U.S., Europe and Asia, as well as government
      officials in "source nations" such as Greece and Italy...

      ... Negotiations with our Italian colleagues have been more challenging
      given their claim for 52 objects, and the fact that our former curator of
      antiquities is still on trial in Rome, apparently in an attempt to obtain
      more leverage against the Getty and other museums..."

      If this article is of interest and you have trouble opening the page, please
      send me a message offlist.

      Clark Whelton
      New York