Letters on archaeological value of coins requested

  • jwa1dbaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2007
      I tried posting this yesterday but it doesn't seem to have gone
      through. I am sending the message on behalf of the Archaeological
      Institute of America's new President C. Brian Rose.

      Please note that letters must be emailed or faxed to the
      addresses/numbers provided at the bottom of the message.

      Thanks,

      Jane C. Waldbaum
      Past President, AIA

      URGENT REQUEST (January 28, 2007)
      Archaeological Value of Coins Questioned
      The Cultural Property Advisory Committee at the U.S. Department of
      State is asking for additional public comment on the inclusion of
      ancient coins in the Cypriot request for import restrictions.

      The United States and Cyprus have had a bilateral agreement for almost
      five years that restricts the import into the United States of
      undocumented archaeological materials from Cyprus. The Cultural
      Property Advisory Committee (CPAC) in the U.S. Department of State
      considered extension of this agreement on Thursday and Friday, January
      25 and 26 (see the AIA's letter in support of this request on the
      AIA's website: www.archaeological.org)).

      The question of whether coins should be included in the new agreement
      arose, and the Committee is now seeking public comment on whether
      coins should be included.

      Cyprus has asked that coins be included because it considers coins to
      have considerable archaeological significance when found in context,
      and, like other such materials, they are vulnerable to pillage and
      illegal export. The proposal is to include in the new bilateral
      agreement coins found in Cyprus that are more than 250 years old.

      CPAC has asked for public comment on the inclusion of coins in the
      agreement, and is now accepting letters supporting (or opposing) the
      inclusion of coins. The deadline of Monday, February 5, for them to
      receive letters is very short. We urge those who care about this issue
      to email or fax letters supporting the inclusion of coins.

      Your letters should address some or all of the following points:

      1. Are coins part of a country's cultural patrimony and does the
      looting of coins jeopardize a country's cultural patrimony?

      2. Is scientific excavation of coins important to archaeology and
      the reconstruction of social, political, and economic history?

      3. Does the search for coins to sell on the market destroy sites
      and archaeological context (and therefore jeopardize the country's
      cultural patrimony) through metal detecting and other looting activities?

      4. Specific points based on personal experience and specific
      examples involving Cypriot coins would be particularly helpful.

      The deadline for submitting a letter is Monday, February 5. Letters
      must be either faxed or sent by email to the Committee at the address
      below:

      Cultural Property Advisory Committee
      Cultural Heritage Center
      U.S. Department of State