Reminder: 2007 Midwest AOS/ASOR/SBL conference

  • Waters, Matthew W.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2007
      Dear Colleagues, in light of the the looming deadline for abstracts
      I append a reminder on the upcoming Midwest
      AOS/ASOR/SBL conference in February. Please note the January 8
      deadline for abstracts for you and/or your graduate students and
      please distribute accordingly.

      =====

      Information about the 2007 Joint Annual Meeting of the Midwest AOS,
      ASOR, and SBL -- including registration, abstract form, and welcome
      and call information -- is available via the the Midwest SBL web
      site (http://www.midwestsbl.org/). The conference will be held at
      Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais, IL (about one hour south
      of downtown Chicago), February 16-18, 2007.

      The theme of the conference is "Sacred Space: Temple, Synagogue,
      Church," and we welcome proposals on topics related to this theme
      as well as other topics. Friday evening plenary speakers for the
      conference will be Elizabeth Bloch-Smith (St. Joseph's University,
      Philadelphia) on Identifying Israelite Sacred Space, Tim Harrison
      (University of Toronto) on Tayinat in Light of Recent
      Investigations, and John Monson (Wheaton College) on the Solomonic
      Temple.

      We are also planning a (Greater) Mesopotamian session on
      Saturday, Feb. 18th. Speakers thus far include Clemens Reichel (U of Chicago)
      on Temples to Deified Kings in Mesopotamia and Michael Kozuh
      (U of Maine at Farmington) on Sacred Space as Economic
      Space: Economic Capital and the Neo-Babylonian
      Temple. K. Lawson-Younger's presidential address (after the banquet
      on Saturday evening) is entitled "Some Aspects of Aramean-Luwian
      Religion in Light of Recent Discoveries."

      We are also, of course, accepting individual submissions. Contact
      me if you are interested in presenting a paper.

      Please post and distribute as appropriate, and pardon all
      cross-postings.

      Sincerely,

      Matt Waters
      Secretary/Treasurer, Midwest AOS
      Associate Professor of Classics and Ancient History
      UW-Eau Claire