Re: SV: SV: SV: [ANE-2] Ancient Nationlism?

  • Andrew Fincke
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 1, 2007
      What is all the confusion about tribe, clan and Benjamin? 1 Sam 9:21 is very clear: "Am I not a Benjamite, of the smallest of the tribes of Israel? And my family is the meagerest of all the families of the tribes of Benjamin?" And if that doesn't confuse you, try 1 Sam 10:19: "And now stand before the L--- to your tribes and to your thousands!" "Thousands" is elef and "and to your thousands" ulalfeyhem. It seems that the author meant to say fule "family" in Greek and got the word backward elef. Or it came out so in the Hexapla, which has Hebrew transcribed in Greek letters.
      Andrew Fincke

      "Ariel L. Szczupak" <ane.als@...> wrote:
      At 06:57 PM 12/31/2006, Ariel L. Szczupak wrote:
      >[...]do you think that using those terms would add contents,
      >understanding to the discourse on those issues?

      I just thought of a possible example. If I recall correctly in
      anthropology "family" implies that inter-marriage is forbidden,
      taboo, "clan" (or gens, or sib) implies that inter-marriage is
      discouraged and "tribe" implies that inter-marriage is accepted, even
      encouraged. But I'm not certain - maybe someone with access to
      anthropology textbooks can check it.

      In that case calling a group a "clan" or a "tribe" would not be
      simply using different labels, or a determination based on vague
      perceptions of the size of the group, but would have implications as
      to the characteristics of the group.

      Just a thought ...

      Ariel.

      ---
      Ariel L. Szczupak
      AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
      POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
      Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
      ane.als@...

    • nancy in chicago
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 4, 2007
        That's an interesting point -- where to begin. I've only dipped into this occassionally, since you guys lost me long ago. I'm just an interested observer. Can you give me some names of books to read, etc, to get more up to speed? And, especially, some assistance on teach yourself (since I'll never speak, just read) languages. Thanks!

        Where, if much of my knowledge on these subjects comes from BAR, BR (magazines) and books such as "Who Wrote the Bible?" by Friedman, "The Bible as History" By Keller & several courses from the Learning Company (www.teach12.com) with such lecturers as Bart D. Ehrman and Amy-Jill Levine. And a few Bible study classes at church.

        nancy in chicago
        Nancy L. Jones
        Arlington Hts, IL
        Interested Amature

        "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's toodark
        to read." Groucho Marx