Re: [ANE-2] No Medes at Ecbatana?

  • Clark Whelton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
      From Peter James:
      >>>>>>Re the recent re-evaluations of Median
      archaeology, I don't think one can say that there
      is no material evidence for them in their homeland.

      What material evidence are you thinking of?

      for a Median empire. If the traditions of a Median "empire"
      have truth in them, then it was of a very different character
      to that of the Persians.

      And yet Heleen Sancisi-Weerdenburg (1990) made a similar point
      about the elusive nature of evidence for a Persian Empire.

      "In the Introductory Note to this workshop participants were asked to
      look at the Persian empire not from the top [i.e., Persia proper],
      but from below, at the level of everyday life among the subject
      populations; and, after two days of intensive discussion ,
      one thing has become clear: when one decides to look from the
      bottom, it is often hard to see the empire." ("The Quest for an
      Elusive Empire", in Heleen Sancisi-Weerdenburg, Amélie Kuhrt,
      eds., Achaemenid History IV: Centre and Periphery. Proceedings
      of the Groningen 1986 Achaemenid History Workshop, Leiden:
      Nederlands Instituut Voor Het Nabije Oosten, 1990, 263).

      Clark Whelton
      New York
    • Don Mills
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
        My attention was caught by another element of Liz's transmission of the CHN item:

        "Head of the team of archeologists at Ecbatana Hill, Masoud Azarnoush told CHN that stratigraphy works and dowsing operations in five places on the hill have only revealed evidence of the Parthian civilization (248 BC?224 AD)".

        Is dowsing now a respectable technique in archaeological exploration?

        Regards,

        -- Don Mills [London, England]

      • Robert M Whiting
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2007
          On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Don Mills wrote:

          > Is dowsing now a respectable technique in archaeological exploration?

          Considering that the report comes from a non-native speaker being
          interviewed by a journalist not necessarily familiar with the technical
          terminology of archaeology, I assumed that for "dowsing" one should read
          "soundings". Just an assumption on my part. Your mileage may vary.

          On the other hand, the use of Ground-Penetrating Radar (GPR) to locate and
          map buried features at archaeological sites (http://www.du.edu/~lconyer/)
          could be considered the modern equivalent of "dowsing". However, I don't
          know that GPR is being used at this particular site, nor is there any way
          for GPR to determine what period any potential underground structres
          belong to.

          Bob Whiting
          whiting@...
        • Trudy Kawami
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2007
            For those interested in the vexing question of the Medes' identity, I
            would strongly recommend "Continuity of Empire(?) Assyria, Media,
            Persia" ed. by G. Lanfranchi, M. Roaf & R. Rollinger, Padua, Sargon
            Editrice, 2003. The volume looks at the question from many points of
            view and has a strong emphasis on HOW the Medes functioned as seen by
            Mesopotamian sources. This is essential reading on the subject.
            Trudy Kawami

          • Clark Whelton
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 12, 2007
              would strongly recommend "Continuity of Empire(?) Assyria, Media,
              Persia" ed. by G. Lanfranchi, M. Roaf & R. Rollinger, Padua, Sargon
              Editrice, 2003. The volume looks at the question from many points of
              view and has a strong emphasis on HOW the Medes functioned as seen by Mesopotamian sources. This is essential reading on the subject.
              Trudy Kawami

              If you don't have access to this important book, J.D. Muhly's excellent review can be found at

              http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2004/2004-11-11.html

              Clark Whelton
              New York