December message statistics

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 1, 2007
      According to the logs, December generated the following message traffic
      (November numbers in parentheses):

      Total submissions to list
      380 (205)

      Bounced by Yahoo
      28 (53)

      Rejected
      19 (11)

      Posted to list
      333 (141)

      Number of individuals posting
      82 (63)

      Top posters (double figures)

      Charles E. Jones 12 (8)
      Jim West 12 (8)

      Niels Peter Lemche 36 (0)
      Andrew Fincke 22 (3)
      George F. Somsel 22 (1)
      Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 22 (1)
      Peter T. Daniels 21 (5)
      Robert Whiting 12 (4)
      Lisbeth S. Fried 11 (6)
      Jim West 10 (12)
      Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (0)

      As of the end of December, there are 733 members (737 at the end of
      November) of which 57 are unmoderated.

      Message traffic was brisker this month than in the past two months. It
      was particularly lively in the second half of the month, when academics
      presumably had a break from classes and exams.

      Bob Whiting
      for the moderators
    • Robert Whiting
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
        I had meant to reply to the message below at the time, but other, more
        pressing matters intervened and I did not.

        However, over the past weekend (yearend?) an upsurge in the number of
        bouncing members makes a reply necessary. During the past few days
        approximately 25 members have had their accounts put in "bouncing"
        status. This means that their ISP or email service provider has
        rejected some message from a Yahoo group and therefore the member can
        neither receive postings sent by email nor post messages to the group.
        Most of the members so affected have hotmail.com, msn.com, or gsx.de
        addresses.

        The reason for this is that Yahoos uses a number of mail servers with
        different IP addresses to send out group traffic. Some of these IP
        addresses have been included in blacklists of IP addresses associated
        with spam and used by many ISPs to block certain IP addresses. When
        an ANE-2 (or another Yahoo group to which the member may also happen
        to belong) message gets sent from one of these servers the message is
        bounced by the ISP and the addressee's account is put in bouncing status.

        Yahoo groups sends an information message when an account is put in
        bouncing status, explaining how to reactivate the account, but it is
        possible that this message is blocked by the ISP as well and the
        member may be unaware of his or her bouncing status.

        Members can clear their bouncing status and reactivate their accounts
        on their own by clicking on the "My Groups" link on the ANE-2 home
        page <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/> and then clicking on the
        "My Email Preferences" link on the My Groups page. On the resulting
        page is a heading called "Bounce History" with links to the bounce
        record of each email address that that member uses with Yahoo groups.
        From this page it is possible for members to send a reactivation
        request to themselves. Once the reactivation request is answered, the
        account will be reactived.

        The moderators try to keep track of members in bouncing status and
        send reactivation requests, but list moderators are only allowed to
        send an reactivation request to each account once every 24 hours.
        Account owners can send themselves as many reactivation requests as
        they want through the "My Groups" page. As with many things, it is
        faster if you do it yourself.

        Reactivation is, of course, only good until the next time the member's
        ISP bounces a message from Yahoo groups. Then you have to start all
        over again. The only solution to this is to use an email address that
        does not block any IP addresses or turn off email delivery and read
        the postings from the group's web page. The latter, however, sort of
        defeats the purpose of a discussion group where most of the pleasure
        comes from having the discussion delivered to you rather than having
        to go out and track it down and then monitor it continuously in order
        to participate.

        Bob Whiting
        for the moderators

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Yare" <brian@...> wrote:

        > << The most striking thing about the November message traffic is the
        upsurge
        > in the number of messages bounced by Yahoo. Bounced messages in
        November
        > exceeded the total of bounced messages for the preceeding six months.
        > Apparently the ANE-2 group's address has made its way on to lists
        that are
        > traded by profession spammers since most of the bounced messages were of
        > this type as opposed to previous months when bounced messages were
        > typically list members who forgot and tried to post from the wrong
        > address. >>
        >
        > My ISP stopped allowing any YahooGroups traffic for days on end. Their
        > excuse was
        >
        > "Yahoo! Groups
        > Due to security concerns with the way Yahoo! Groups send their e-mails,
        > Freeola does not currently support the receiving of this service. "
        >
        > I don't know how many other ISPs feel the same way.
        >
        > At present FreeOla are allowing mail from YahooGroups.
        >

        > Brian Yare
        > Yare Egyptology
        > http://www.yare.org/egypt

      • Robert M Whiting
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
          According to the logs (as corrected), January generated the following
          message traffic (December numbers in parentheses):

          Total submissions to list
          544 (380)

          Bounced by Yahoo
          33 (28)

          Rejected
          27 (19)

          Posted to list
          484 (333)

          Number of individuals posting
          98 (82)

          Top posters (double figures)

          Peter T. Daniels 40 (21)
          Niels Peter Lemche 37 (36)
          Andrew Fincke 35 (22)
          George F. Somsel 26 (22)
          Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 20 (22)
          Yitzhak Sapir 16 (4)
          Russell Gmirkin 15 (4)
          Rolf Furuli 15 (0)
          Ariel L. Szczupak 14 (10)
          Charles E. Jones 13 (5)
          Robert Whiting 13 (12)
          Stephen Goranson 12 (5)
          Greg Doudna 12 (2)
          Lisbeth S. Fried 11 (11)
          Eliot Braun 10 (2)

          As of the end of January, there are 752 members (733 at the end of
          December) of which 57 are unmoderated.

          Message traffic this month was the highest since March of 2006.

          Bob Whiting
          for the moderators
        • Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
            What is the earliest written grammar of a language of which we have a
            copy? I know we have the Akkadian word lists, but did the ancients
            write grammars, that is, written systematizations of the phonetics,
            morphology, and syntax of ancient languages? I know that occasionally
            we have a comment on how a Greek form works in an ancient Greek text,
            but do we have full length treatments? Are the Arabs the first to
            write works that we would label as a grammar?

            Has anyone written a history of the genre "grammar"?

            Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
            Professor of Biblical Languages and Literature
            Oral Roberts University
            dvance@...
            donaldrvance@...
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
              The most accessible account of ancient Sumerian, Akkadian, and Egyptian grammatical texts is found in Giulio Lepschy's History of Linguistics, vol. 1. The respective authors are Miguel Civil, Erica Reiner, and Janet Johnson. The volume also has chapters on the Hebrew, Arabic, Indian, and Chinese (but not the Syriac) traditions.

              Vol. 2 is entirely devoted to P. H. Matthews on the Greek and Latin traditions; vol. 3 covers Medieval and Renaissance grammars, and vol. 4 the Romantic tradition. I haven't yet seen vol. 5 (20th century) in English, and there is a 6th vol. on Italian that wasn't planned to be translated.

              What is the earliest written grammar of a language of which we have a
              copy? I know we have the Akkadian word lists, but did the ancients
              write grammars, that is, written systematizations of the phonetics,
              morphology, and syntax of ancient languages? I know that occasionally
              we have a comment on how a Greek form works in an ancient Greek text,
              but do we have full length treatments? Are the Arabs the first to
              write works that we would label as a grammar?

              Has anyone written a history of the genre "grammar"?

              Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
              Professor of Biblical Languages and Literature
              Oral Roberts University
              dvance@...
              donaldrvance@ mac.com

            • Robert M Whiting
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
                See also Jeremy Black, Sumerian Grammar in Babylonian Theory (1984).

                The so-called Old Babylonian grammatical texts are primarly elucidations
                of Sumerian grammar, particularly verbal morphology, in terms of Akkadian
                equivalents.

                Bob Whiting
                whiting@...

                On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

                > The most accessible account of ancient Sumerian, Akkadian, and Egyptian
                > grammatical texts is found in Giulio Lepschy's History of Linguistics,
                > vol. 1. The respective authors are Miguel Civil, Erica Reiner, and Janet
                > Johnson. The volume also has chapters on the Hebrew, Arabic, Indian, and
                > Chinese (but not the Syriac) traditions.
                >
                > Vol. 2 is entirely devoted to P. H. Matthews on the Greek and Latin
                > traditions; vol. 3 covers Medieval and Renaissance grammars, and vol. 4
                > the Romantic tradition. I haven't yet seen vol. 5 (20th century) in
                > English, and there is a 6th vol. on Italian that wasn't planned to be
                > translated.
                > --
                > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

              • Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 3, 2007
                  Thank you to Peter and Bob,
                  This is exactly what I was looking for.

                  On Feb 2, 2007, at 5:02 PM, Robert M Whiting wrote:

                  > See also Jeremy Black, Sumerian Grammar in Babylonian Theory (1984).
                  >
                  > The so-called Old Babylonian grammatical texts are primarly
                  > elucidations
                  > of Sumerian grammar, particularly verbal morphology, in terms of
                  > Akkadian
                  > equivalents.
                  >
                  > Bob Whiting
                  > whiting@...
                  >
                  > On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
                  >
                  > > The most accessible account of ancient Sumerian, Akkadian, and
                  > Egyptian
                  > > grammatical texts is found in Giulio Lepschy's History of
                  > Linguistics,
                  > > vol. 1. The respective authors are Miguel Civil, Erica Reiner,
                  > and Janet
                  > > Johnson. The volume also has chapters on the Hebrew, Arabic,
                  > Indian, and
                  > > Chinese (but not the Syriac) traditions.
                  > >
                  > > Vol. 2 is entirely devoted to P. H. Matthews on the Greek and Latin
                  > > traditions; vol. 3 covers Medieval and Renaissance grammars, and
                  > vol. 4
                  > > the Romantic tradition. I haven't yet seen vol. 5 (20th century) in
                  > > English, and there is a 6th vol. on Italian that wasn't planned
                  > to be
                  > > translated.
                  > > --
                  > > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

                • Robert M Whiting
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 2, 2007
                    According to the logs, February generated the following
                    message traffic (January numbers in parentheses):

                    Total submissions to list
                    428 (544)

                    Bounced by Yahoo
                    28 (33)

                    Rejected
                    48 (27)

                    Posted to list
                    352 (484)

                    Number of individuals posting
                    82 (98)

                    Top posters (double figures)

                    Niels Peter Lemche 28 (37)
                    Ariel L. Szczupak 24 (14)
                    Eliot Braun 20 (10)
                    Andrew Fincke 20 (35)
                    Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 18 (20)
                    George F. Somsel 16 (26)
                    Charles E. Jones 14 (13)
                    Jim West 10 (8)
                    Yitzhak Sapir 10 (16)

                    As of the end of February, there are 763 members (752 at the end of
                    January) of which 56 are unmoderated.

                    Message traffic this month was lower than in January, but the month was
                    three days shorter (there were also a significantly higher percentage of
                    rejected posts than in the past). The one-year anniversary of the ANE-2
                    list passed on February 15 without much fanfare. This is in keeping with
                    the list's format as a fact- and evidence-based forum for scholarly
                    discussion.

                    I have noticed in the logs that a number of members have had messages
                    bounced by Yahoo when they tried to post from an address other than the
                    one at which they are registered. I have also noticed that some members
                    change their address when they want to post. Neither of these is
                    necessary since it is possible to set your account so that you can post
                    from more than one email address. To do this, from the ANE-2 group's home
                    page <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/>, click on the link "My Groups"
                    near the top at the far right side of the page. This will take you to a
                    page that lists the Yahoo groups to which you belong. Near the top on the
                    right side of this page you will see a link "My Email Preferences". This
                    link will take you to a page that lists all the email addresses that are
                    associated with your Yahoo profile. The last column in this list is
                    headed "Options". Click on the "Edit" link in the row that contains the
                    email address with which you are subscribed to the ANE-2 list. This will
                    take you to a page where you can enter "Alternate Posting Addresses" for
                    the email address with which you are subscribed. After entering the
                    alternate email address(es), do not forget to click "Save Changes" before
                    navigating away from the page. If your alternate address(es) are not
                    already known to Yahoo, a message will be sent to the address(es) you
                    enter asking you to verify them. Once you have done this, you should be
                    able to post to the list from any email address that you have entered on
                    this page.

                    Bob Whiting
                    for the moderators
                  • Robert M Whiting
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 1, 2007
                      According to the logs, March generated the following
                      message traffic (February numbers in parentheses):

                      Total submissions to list
                      563 (428)

                      Bounced by Yahoo
                      20 (28)

                      Rejected
                      58 (48)

                      Posted to list
                      485 (352)

                      Number of individuals posting
                      94 (82)

                      Top posters (double figures)

                      James D. Tabor 68 (0)
                      Joe Zias 40 (9)
                      Ariel L. Szczupak 29 (24)
                      Doug Weller 24 (4)
                      Yitzhak Sapir 22 (10)
                      Jim West 19 (10)
                      Jeffrey B. Gibson 18 (9)
                      Eliot Braun 17 (20)
                      Rene J. Salm 14 (0)
                      Stephen Goranson 11 (4)
                      Peter T. Daniels 11 (9)
                      David Q. Hall 11 (0)
                      Greg Doudna 10 (0)

                      As of the end of March, there are 780 members (763 at the end of
                      February) of which 59 are unmoderated.

                      Message traffic this month was higher than in February and nearly
                      identical to that of January. There were, however, a significantly higher
                      percentage of rejected posts than in January. We attribute this to the
                      nature of the main discussion of the month, which seems to have called
                      forth a number of emotional responses to various positions. We have
                      strived to maintain the list as a fact- and evidence-based forum for
                      scholarly discussion and we trust that those who use the forum understand
                      and accept this.

                      Bob Whiting
                      for the moderators
                    • Robert M Whiting
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 1 4:18 AM
                        According to the logs, April generated the following
                        message traffic (March numbers in parentheses):

                        Total submissions to list
                        377 (563)

                        Bounced by Yahoo
                        27 (20)

                        Rejected
                        38 (58)

                        Posted to list
                        312 (485)

                        Number of individuals posting
                        72 (94)

                        Top posters (double figures)

                        Peter T. Daniels 35 (11)
                        Niels Peter Lemche 21 (3)
                        Charles E. Jones 14 (7)
                        Jim West 13 (19)
                        Ariel L. Szczupak 13 (29)
                        Dierk van den Berg 12 (1)
                        Robert Whiting 12 (4)
                        Yitzhak Sapir 12 (22)
                        Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (2)
                        George F. Somsel 11 (8)

                        As of the end of April, there are 795 members (780 at the end of
                        March) of which 59 are unmoderated.

                        Message traffic this month was lower than in March and in fact than any
                        other month so far this year. In checking the logs, I note that, for the
                        second year running, the birthday of Benno Landsberger on April 21 has
                        gone unremarked.

                        Bob Whiting
                        for the moderators
                      • victor
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 1 5:29 AM
                          Dear ANE-ers,

                          Robert remarks that for the second year running Benno Landsberger's birthday
                          on 21 April went unnoticed. I deeply apologize for my negligence. I had been
                          accustomed for years to announce this joyous occasion, but felt like Linus
                          and the Great Pumpkin or Beethoven's birthday and that the humor was running
                          a bit thin. Now that I see it has been missed I can only hope that ina recut
                          ilani I will have the great privilege of resuming the custom for SAR years.

                          Victor Hurowitz

                          BGU Beer Sheva

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
                            According to the logs, May generated the following
                            message traffic (April numbers in parentheses):

                            Total submissions to list
                            402 (377)

                            Bounced by Yahoo
                            36 (27)

                            Rejected
                            33 (38)

                            Posted to list
                            333 (312)

                            Number of individuals posting
                            92 (72)

                            Top posters (double figures)

                            Jim West 30 (13)
                            Niels Peter Lemche 22 (21)
                            Lisbeth S. Fried 19 (1)
                            Joe Zias 12 (8)
                            Yitzhak Sapir 12 (12)
                            Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (12)
                            Dierk van den Berg 11 (12)
                            Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (13)

                            As of the end of May, there are 811 members (795 at the end of
                            April) of which 58 are unmoderated.

                            Message traffic this month was higher than in April leaving April as the
                            slowest traffic month so far this year. Expect traffic to drop off over
                            the summer as many people are away from their computers.

                            Bob Whiting
                            for the moderators
                          • Jim West
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
                              What do I win????? This is indeed a once in a lifetime accomplishment-
                              being on a list with such luminaries.... and on the top of it!

                              --
                              Jim West, ThD

                            • Trudy Kawami
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 3, 2007
                                Fame & glory (& tired fingers)
                                Trudy Kawami

                                ________________________________

                                --
                                Jim West, ThD

                                http://drjewest.googlepages.com/ <http://drjewest.googlepages.com/> -- Biblical Studies Resources
                                http://drjimwest.wordpress.com <http://drjimwest.wordpress.com/> -- Weblog

                              • Robert M Whiting
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 2, 2007
                                  According to the logs, June generated the following
                                  message traffic (May numbers in parentheses):

                                  Total submissions to list
                                  274 (402)

                                  Bounced by Yahoo
                                  44 (36)

                                  Rejected
                                  33 (33)

                                  Posted to list
                                  197 (333)

                                  Number of individuals posting
                                  74 (92)

                                  Top posters (double figures)

                                  Charles E. Jones 17 (7)
                                  Jim West 14 (30)
                                  Ariel L. Szczupak 11 (10)

                                  As of the end of June, there are 818 members (811 at the end of
                                  May) of which 59 are unmoderated.

                                  Message traffic this month was the slowest of the year so far, which is to
                                  be expected as many people (in the northern hemisphere) head for summer
                                  vacations and spend less time at their computers

                                  On the other hand, the number of messages bounced by Yahoo is the highest
                                  of the year. Most of these are from spammers and others who are not list
                                  members, but I also note that a number of members had messages bounced
                                  when they tried to post from an address other than the one that they are
                                  registered under.

                                  I have mentioned this before, but it is possible to set your account so
[...]

                                  One final note: If you intend to be away from your computer for an
                                  extended period over the summer and you don't want your mailbox to fill up
                                  with postings from the list, it is not necessary to leave the list in
                                  order to prevent this. You can simply turn off email delivery of postings
                                  without leaving the list. Just go to the group's home page,
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/>, and click on the "Edit Membership"
                                  link near the top of the page (near the center beneath the advertising
                                  banner). This will take you to a page where you can modify your account's
                                  behavior. Under Step 2. Message Delivery select "Web Only". This will
                                  turn off email delivery of either individual messages or the daily digest.
                                  Don't forget to click on "Save Changes" before navigating away from the
                                  page.

                                  Bob Whiting
                                  for the moderators
                                • Robert M Whiting
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 1, 2007
                                    According to the logs, July generated the following
                                    message traffic (June numbers in parentheses):

                                    Total submissions to list
                                    447 (274)

                                    Bounced by Yahoo
                                    56 (44)

                                    Rejected
                                    34 (33)

                                    Posted to list
                                    357 (197)

                                    Number of individuals posting
                                    78 (74)

                                    Top posters (double figures)

                                    Niels Peter Lemche 46 (7)
                                    Jim West 19 (14)
                                    David Q. Hall 18 (5)
                                    Peter T. Daniels 16 (7)
                                    Charles E. Jones 15 (17)
                                    Dierk van den Berg 15 (0)
                                    Tory Thorpe 13 (2)
                                    Kevin P. Edgecomb 10 (0)
                                    Frank Polak 10 (1)
                                    Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 10 (1)

                                    As of the end of July, there are 818 members (818 at the end of
                                    June) of which 63 are unmoderated.

                                    Message traffic this month was surprisingly brisk considering the time of
                                    year. In fact, even without considering the time of year it was a healthy
                                    month in terms of postings, having the third highest of the year to date.

                                    On the other hand, the number of messages bounced by Yahoo sets another
                                    monthly high mark for the year. Most of these are from spammers and
                                    it is clear that the list address has made its way onto an increasing
                                    number of the address lists that spammers use.

                                    While the membership appears to have been static, this is an instance
                                    where Occam's Razor will lead you astray. Actually, 11 new members joined
                                    the list but this was exactly balanced by the 11 members who left or were
                                    removed. Some who left were old stalwarts, and I assume that they left
                                    the list because they were expecting to be away from their email for an
                                    extended period. I have mentioned before that it is not necessary to
                                    leave the list in these circumstances. In case there may be others who
                                    will face the same situation this month, I will repeat the instructions
                                    given previously:

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 1, 2007
                                      According to the logs, August generated the following
                                      message traffic (July numbers in parentheses):

                                      Total submissions to list
                                      205 (447)

                                      Bounced by Yahoo
                                      42 (56)

                                      Rejected
                                      9 (34)

                                      Posted to list
                                      154 (357)

                                      Number of individuals posting
                                      62 (78)

                                      Top posters (double figures)

                                      Jim West 18 (19)

                                      As of the end of August, there are 823 members (818 at the end of
                                      July) of which 64 are unmoderated.

                                      The slump in message traffic expected in July occured in August instead.
                                      August registered the lowest list participation so far this year.

                                      On the other hand, the spam continued unabated as the number of messages
                                      bounced by Yahoo was the third highest of the year. Only one of these
                                      messages seems to have been from a list member who tried to post from the
                                      wrong address.

                                      Bob Whiting
                                      for the moderators
                                    • Robert M Whiting
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                        According to the logs, September generated the following
                                        message traffic (August numbers in parentheses):

                                        Total submissions to list
                                        342 (205)

                                        Bounced by Yahoo
                                        37 (42)

                                        Rejected
                                        22 (9)

                                        Posted to list
                                        283 (154)

                                        Number of individuals posting
                                        77 (62)

                                        Top posters (double figures)

                                        Niels Peter Lemche 16 (3)
                                        Jim West 15 (18)
                                        Peter T. Daniels 15 (5)
                                        Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 14 (5)
                                        Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (5)

                                        As of the end of September, there are 834 members (823 at the end of
                                        August) of which 65 are unmoderated.

                                        Message traffic picked from August, which was the slowest month of the
                                        year. This is expected as people return to their computers at the end of
                                        the summer and the new academic year begins.

                                        Bob Whiting
                                        for the moderators
                                      • Christopher Conlan
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                          Bob,

                                          Is there a list of the members who are unmoderated?

                                          Chris Conlan

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                            On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Christopher Conlan wrote:

                                            > Bob,
                                            >
                                            > Is there a list of the members who are unmoderated?

                                            Yes, but it is for the private use of the moderators. However, if you
                                            have the patience you could probably make one for yourself. Each message
                                            approved by a moderator has a header added indicating who approved it and
                                            when. For example, the message you just posted and that I am replying to
                                            has the header:

                                            21:01:52 -0000

                                            Any message that doesn't have this header was posted by an unmoderated
                                            listmember. All you have to do is check the headers of the messages
                                            posted to the list and eventually you will find most of the unmoderated
                                            members. To give you a head start, all the moderators are unmoderated.
                                            A word of warning, however: some unmoderated members have yet to post to
                                            the list so you are unlikely to find them all.

                                            Bob Whiting
                                            whiting@...