Re: [ANE-2] A new(?) beginning

  • victor avigdor hurowitz
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
      I'm not a Hurrologist and don't worship their gods, but isn't Haldi an
      Urartian god, the one mentioned in Sargon's 8th campaign?
      Victor

    • Trudy Kawami
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
        Bruce,

        I cannot give you a literary reference but there is a big visual one in
        the Hittite reliefs of Chamber B at Yazilikaya in central Anatolia where
        the Hittite king Tudhaliyas IV is shown walking by the side of his
        patron god Sharumma whose arm protectively encircles the king's
        shoulders.

        Trudy Kawami

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
          tkawami@... writes:

          Bruce,

          I cannot give you a literary reference but there is a big visual one in
          the Hittite reliefs of Chamber B at Yazilikaya in central Anatolia where
          the Hittite king Tudhaliyas IV is shown walking by the side of his
          patron god Sharumma whose arm protectively encircles the king's
          shoulders.

          Trudy Kawami

          Dear Trudy,

          Thanks very much - I will certainly follow this one up.

          :-)

          Bruce Gardner
          Aberdeen Scotland UK

        • Ariel L. Szczupak
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
            At 11:02 16/02/2006, victor avigdor hurowitz wrote:
            >Woe Ariel, Ariel!

            ... the city where snow once settled ... :(

            >... if you insist on historicity ...

            Not only I don't insist on it, I'm not really interested in biblical
            historicity per se (as the ANE1 archive can show while it's still
            there). My interest is in the methodology for establishing, or not,
            the historicity of textual evidence in general. Biblical historicity
            is just one case, but it is an "active" battlefield, one in which
            accepted methodologies are determined by the scientific community,
            and, continuing the analogy, NPL is one of the warlords ...

            It was one of the first messages in the list and you quoted only DM's
            snipped version, so maybe you didn't see the full message. I used
            this example because it was handy, as something I was working on, for
            illustrating four issues, not just the historicity issue, that I
            think the moderators should consider. And possibly make guidelines
            and policies to address them. Four issues that are at this euphoric
            point theoretical, but judging from ANE1's history will become real
            soon enough. A kind of "better brush your teeth now than have a root
            canal job in the future" comment :)

            So don't cry for me ANE2 arena, I have no intention of initiating a
            biblical historicity thread.

            Ariel.

            ---
            Ariel L. Szczupak
            AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
            POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
            Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
            ane.als@... http://amis-jlm.co.il