ancient egypt query

  • Lisbeth S. Fried
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 25, 2006
      Dear All, esp. the Egyptologists among us,

      Does anyone know if women in ancient Egypt shaved their legs?

      How would I go about finding this out?

      Best regards,

      and Merry Christmas to all.

      Liz Fried

      Ann Arbor

    • Paula
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 25, 2006
        Dear Liz,

        I know of priests shaving their whole body; even eyebrows but women
        shaving their legs?
        No knowledge of that so far...
        Shaving in ordinary people in AE was considered necessary for lice
        control; because of fleas and other bug activity...
        But the precise shaving of legs like we do nowadays it is not
        documented at least on the known literature I had access to, about
        daily life, religion and medicine.

        Some references I have come across are in these publications but
        other articles and small portions in other work may have references
        to hair too, as a characteristic of personal hygiene.

        Atlas of Ancient Egypt Baines, John; Malek, Jaromir 1980
        Dictionary of Ancient Egypt, The Shaw, Ian; Nicholson, Paul 1995
        M. Lichtheim, Ancient Egyptian Literature Old Kingdom 1980; vol II
        and III 2006 editions
        David, A. Rosalie. The Ancient Egyptians. London: Routledge and Kegan
        Paul, 1984

        Look at the text about the barber as an example for the priests'need
        to shave the body:
        http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/Exhibit/Archive/egypt/info/statement.a
        sp

        Shaving of the hair (head) in AE was necessary to the application of
        wigs with greater comfort, both for men and women and the wig was
        considered itself a sensual object.

        So, if they looked at hair on top and liked it, I believe it was not
        necessary to remove the one in legs, but I cannot afirm it for sure,
        of course, it is just a joke I made...
      • Rafal Kolinski
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
          Dear Liz,
          Why not to check reports on female mummies? Or persons who had recently did this kind of research?

          Yours
          Rafal Kolinski
          Institute of Prehistory
          Adam Mickiewicz University
          Poznan, Poland

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
            Dear Rafal,

            The mummies were shaved, or at least razors were found in their tombs.

            I don't know if this implies that they shaved during their lifetimes, and I
            don't know how to find this out.

            Any help would be appreciated.

            Liz Fried

            _____

            "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried@umich. <mailto:lizfried%40umich.edu> edu>
            wrote:
            Dear All, esp. the Egyptologists among us,

            Does anyone know if women in ancient Egypt shaved their legs?

            How would I go about finding this out?

            Best regards,

            and Merry Christmas to all.

            Liz Fried

            Ann Arbor

            Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger
            <http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com> .yahoo.com

          • John Wall
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
              I'm away from my library at the moment - so can't check for you - but the
              Nicholson/Shaw "Ancient Egyptian Materials and Technology" might be of use.
              iirc there's a section by Joann Fletcher (of (not) Nefertiti (in)fame) on
              hair/wigs, etc which could be helpful. It may well address the habits of the
              high born wrt bodily hair. Smith's 1912 "Royal Mummies" might help with
              descriptions of actual mumies - there may be an online version of this.

              All the best,

              John Wall
              Omni oratio nil labor

              From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" lizfried@...
              > The mummies were shaved, or at least razors were found in their tombs.
              >
              > I don't know if this implies that they shaved during their lifetimes, and
              > don't know how to find this out.
              >
              > Any help would be appreciated.
              >
              > Liz Fried
            • Andrew Fincke

                wrote:
                Dear All, esp. the Egyptologists among us,

                Does anyone know if women in ancient Egypt shaved their legs?

                How would I go about finding this out?

                Best regards,

                and Merry Christmas to all.

                Liz Fried

                Ann Arbor

                Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger
                <http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com> .yahoo.com

              • victor avigdor hurowitz
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
                  Dear Andrew,
                  I'm using the same textual version you allude to here and I find in
                  Genesis 26:22 describing Isaac's reaction to frisking his young son Jacob
                  masquerading as hirsute Esau and sensing that his wife has put her son
                  up to no good. "Ha qol qol Rivkah weharaglayim ragley Esaw"
                  Best,
                  Victor Hurowitz
                  BGU Beer Sheva

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007