Sad News: Bruce Trigger

  • cejo@uchicago.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
      "Bruce Trigger, one of Canada's most eminent archaeologists and a McGill University professor, died on Friday at the age of 69..."

      http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/arts/story.html?id=0b740a2d-87c1-4a98-9154-fbe17f2217d8

      -Chuck Jones-
    • John Wall
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
        Unfortunately, not being a subscriber I can't get the details from the
        link:-(

        Having got/read "Ancient Egypt, a social history" and "A history of
        archaeological thought" I have to say that he was an excellent scholar and
        will be sadly missed:-(

        All the best,

        John Wall

        From: <cejo@...>
        > "Bruce Trigger, one of Canada's most eminent archaeologists and a McGill
        > University professor, died on Friday at the age of 69..."
        >
        > http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/arts/story.html?id=0b740a2d-87c1-4a98-9154-fbe17f2217d8
        >
        > -Chuck Jones-
      • catalhoyukbalter
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
          This is very sad news. Although I never met Bruce Trigger in person, I
          interviewed him extensively by telephone for my book about Catalhoyuk,
          The Goddess and the Bull, which contained long sections about
          archaeological history. He also provided a very kind jacket blurb. In
          talking to others who knew him, they say that he was invariably
          generous with his time and encouragement of other scholars,
          particularly up and coming younger ones. And of course he was probably
          the foremost historian of archaeology in the world. I hope that others
          who knew him will contribute their thoughts.

          best wishes, Michael Balter

          http://www.michaelbalter.com