Form-Fitting Containers & Writing Surface Utilization

  • funhistory
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
      Does anyone know of any ANE storage containers made specifically for
      odd-shaped objects? Did any of them "form fit" their contents, or
      does it seem that excess volume was never an issue?

      Note that I'm not talking about clay envelopes, which were formed
      over tablets, but rather the other way around. The only significant
      example that comes to my mind is the elaborate inner coffin of Tut.
      Some modern examples are egg cartons & guitar cases.

      A second issue involves writing surfaces. Aside from cuneiform
      prisms & cylinders, were there any other inscribed objects that
      appear to be designed to maximize/exploit all of the available
      writing surface? Most of the foundation cones I've seen on the
      antiquities market are only half-used, but the round school texts
      usually utilize all of both sides.

      Thanks ahead of time for any bibliographic references!

      George Michael Grena, II
      Redondo Beach, CA
    • Bea Hopkinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2006
        There was of course re-use of empty spaces of parchment which
        was clipped and re-used.

        Beatrice Hopkinson

        >A second issue involves writing surfaces. Aside from cuneiform
        >prisms & cylinders, were there any other inscribed objects that
        >appear to be designed to maximize/exploit all of the available
        >writing surface? Most of the foundation cones I've seen on the
        >antiquities market are only half-used, but the round school texts
        >usually utilize all of both sides.
      • Michel Bardiaux
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
          funhistory wrote:

          > Does anyone know of any ANE storage containers made specifically for
          > odd-shaped objects? Did any of them "form fit" their contents, or
          > does it seem that excess volume was never an issue?
          >
          > Note that I'm not talking about clay envelopes, which were formed
          > over tablets, but rather the other way around. The only significant
          > example that comes to my mind is the elaborate inner coffin of Tut.
          > Some modern examples are egg cartons & guitar cases.

          Try a web search on "ankh shaped mirror case" (without the quotes!)

          > George Michael Grena, II
          > Redondo Beach, CA

          HTH,
          --