Ancient technology-amazing

  • lnessa
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
      "The Antikythera Mechanism" at

      http://www.nature.com/nature/index.html has quite a bit of interesting info
      as well. I would love to own a copy of the Machine.

      Lester Ness
      Kunming
      China
    • Ariel L. Szczupak
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2006
        At 18:16 30/11/2006, funhistory wrote:

        >Most of the fragmentary Greek inscription is available in Section 2 of
        >this Supplementary Notes file:
        >
        >www.nature.com/nature/journal/v444/n7119/extref/nature05357-s1.pdf
        >
        >ANE-2 question: Is this the earliest known "instruction manual" for
        >the operation of a device, or are there any cuneiform parallels
        >describing how to operate a tool or piece of equipment?

        I see that no one else replied, so a quick note:

        There are of course texts that instruct, ranging from how to be a
        better, wiser person to how to build a doomsday ark. But I think you
        mean "operations manual" texts, and that's another story.

        An operations manual is for complex equipment that can be operated
        using the manual. You don't need an operations manual for simple
        equipment and you can't use an operations manual by itself if using
        the equipment requires also training or an apprenticeship. And most
        of the equipment in the ANE is either simple, or requires
        training/apprenticeship, or both.

        The only "class" of texts I can think of that resembles an operations
        manual is mathematical or astronomical texts that deal with complex
        operations that are repeatable and don't require muscle memory,
        weather sense, etc - but they deal with calculations, not with equipment.

        And another note:

        As far as I can tell from the English translation, if you
        disassociate the Antikythera text from its material context (from the
        device) and take out lines 31-33 of the back door inscription, what
        you get is a very ambiguous text that would be more likely to be
        interpreted as a mystical text, as the description of a ritual or
        dance, etc. So it's not clear if an ANE text that is an operations
        manual can be recognized as being one without a material context
        and/or some words that have only a literal meaning.

        Ariel.

        ---
        Ariel L. Szczupak
        AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
        POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
        Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
        ane.als@...