Berlinerblau: What's Wrong With the Society of Biblical Literature?

  • cejo@uchicago.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2006
      Jacques Berlinerblau has an interesting article in the November 10, 2006 Chronicle of Higher
      Education: "What's Wrong With the Society of Biblical Literature?"

      http://chronicle.com/temp/email2.php?id=xgq3cdmVDVvdzVGpRscyrcb4HypmWzZk

      "... Consider that the most popular and widely discussed books about the Bible are almost never
      written by biblicists. On the down side, there is the execrable The Bible Code — a book claiming
      that urgent prophetic communications are encrypted, often diagonally, within the Hebrew text of
      the Bible. On the level of serious scholarship, I find it quite telling that some of the most
      influential studies — the ones that get reviewed in the major journals of opinion such as The New
      York Review of Books, The Nation, Commentary, The Times Literary Supplement, what have you — are
      written by professors of English and comparative literature. To give a recent example, Harold
      Bloom has released a quirky, unforgivable, but deliciously provocative book entitled Jesus and
      Yahweh: The Names Divine. In 2006, as far as I can tell, it has generated more media commentary
      than any other work of scholarship focused on the Bible in the past year.

      Consider that "biblical studies" as a college major is not exactly a booming industry. In secular
      universities, a department devoted solely to biblical studies is virtually unheard-of. When an
      undergraduate takes a class in Scripture, it will most probably be a survey course. In all
      likelihood, that will be the last course he or she takes in the Bible, and it will not prepare the
      student to engage the text's awesome complexities. The campus biblicist — assuming there is a
      biblicist on the faculty — is usually mothballed in a religious-studies department as opposed to
      an autonomous biblical-studies program. He or she (and I know of very few secular universities
      with more than two biblicists on the payroll) is trotted out ignominiously with other members of
      the diverse religious cast wherever a theatrical display of ecumenical spirit is required. For
      better or for worse, American undergraduates major in religion, not in Bible.

      Consider that many secular universities don't even have a full-time position in biblical studies.
      Biblical scholarship is underwritten by theological seminaries — be they independent or affixed to
      universities. In a recent piece in the online SBL Forum, I called attention to the fact that
      something like 95 percent of jobs advertised on the SBL site's "Openings" list are placed there by
      nonsecular institutions. That there are few positions out there for nonbelievers is a fact that
      consistently fails to alarm the overwhelmingly religious membership of the SBL. But here is a
      reading of this situation that might concern them: There is absolutely no growth in our field.
      Secular universities have made the most minimal commitment to the study of Scripture, in spite of
      the role that the Bible has played in the philosophical, literary, and artistic heritage of
      Occidental civilization. Were it not for the aforementioned sectarian seminaries, there would be
      few places on earth for a biblicist to ply his or her craft.

      Consider that in nearly half a century, maybe since the time of the biblical archaeologist William
      Foxwell Albright, not a single biblical scholar has emerged as a public intellectual either
      nationally or internationally. Let me cite a few names from the bestiary of public intellectuals
      to give you a sense of what types of thinkers and styles of argumentation we are missing. No
      Hannah Arendt. No Pierre Bourdieu. No Cornel West. No Catharine MacKinnon. No Cynthia Ozick. No
      Noam Chomsky. No Bernard Lewis. There are undoubtedly many formidable biblicists out there. That
      almost none of them are known beyond their own denominations or the pages of the Journal of
      Biblical Literature is sobering ..."

      Read the rest, it's very interesting.

      -Chuck Jones-
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2006
        I'm not sure why Chuck thought this article was on-topic for ANE-2 List, but it looks to me like (e.g. in this excerpt) Mr. Berlinerblau thinks that "biblical scholar" means or ought to mean 'theologian'. I expect that what he complains about not finding in the SBL he'll find right across the hall in the AAR. (I, of course, have no idea what the separation is about. But it happened to the MLA and the LSA about 30 years ago, too.)