Re: [ANE-2] Looking for images - mirror representations in Neo-Hittite funerary stelae

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2006
      On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Miguel Valerio wrote:

      > Dear all,
      >
      > I would very much like to find some images, just for study for purposes
      > (not publication). I am looking for pictures or drawings of mirror
      > representations in the Neo-Hittite funerary stelae of Maresh (preferably
      > from online resources).

      There is <http://www.biblereview.org/Hittites_in_the_Bible.pdf> which has
      a photo of a funerary stele from Marash with a woman holding a mirror.
      Note that this is a pdf file (also that it is an article from BAR).

      Apart from funerary stele, the BM has a Neo-Hittite stele with a
      representation of Kubaba holding a mirror
      <http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/compass/ixbin/goto?id=OBJ1664>. The
      mirror was a symbol of Kubaba, but whether this has any connection with
      the funerary stele or not I don't know.

      Bob Whiting
      whiting@...
    • paulina albenda
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2006
        Dear Miguel, I did locate two stelae from Marash that show females holding a mirror; however, the photographs are in publications. (1) Ekrem Akurgal, The Art of Greece. Its Origins in the...(New York, 1966), plate 28 (daughter with mirror). (2) Id. The Art of the Hittites ( London, 1962), fig. 139 (wife with mirror). Of course, there are other examples of mirrors held by women/goddesses in the art of the Neo-Hittite period. My best,
        Pauline A. (New York City)

        Miguel Valerio <mikkivalerio@...> wrote:
        Dear all,

        I would very much like to find some images, just for study for purposes
        (not publication). I am looking for pictures or drawings of mirror
        representations in the Neo-Hittite funerary stelae of Maresh (preferably
        from online resources).

        Any help would be greatly appreciated!

        Thanks very much in advance,

        Miguel Valério