Appeal for Muazzez Çig

  • cejo@uchicago.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2006
      From "W.H. van Soldt" <w.h.van.soldt@...>
      Subject: Appeal for Muazzez Çig

      To the members of the International Association for Assyriology

      Dear members,

      As you will probably have heard our colleague Dr. Muazzez Ilmiye Çig will have to face a trial
      with a possible conviction leading to a three-year imprisonment.

      The IAA wishes to make an appeal to the Turkish authorities for the dismissal of any charges
      against her. An appeal to that effect has now been put on our website:

      <http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/rencontre/Cig_protest.html>.

      We ask you to give us permission to add your name to those who have already signed the appeal.

      Hoping to hear from you soon,
      Wilfred van Soldt
      Secretary of the IAA
    • Charles Ellwood Jones
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2006
        "A court in the Turkish city of Istanbul has acquitted a 92-year-old
        academic of charges of insulting Muslim women and inciting religious
        hatred...

        http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6106098.stm

        -Chuck Jonees-