RE: [ANE-2] One Night with the King

  • nljfs@wideopenwest.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 7, 2006
      This is probably as accurate as the Veggie Tales version...

      Actually, my first thought when I saw the trailer was -- what's Aragorn doing
      here???

      Luke Goss looks a bit like Viggo Mortensen... (For those out of the loop --
      Aragorn is a major character in a set of fantasy books/movies called -- The
      Lord of the Rings -- Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers & the Return of
      the King)

      Nancy L. Jones
      interested amateur
    • George Athas
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 8, 2006
        Not the Luke Goss of 80's UK boy-band "Bros" fame? Playing Xerxes?

        Best Regards,

        GEORGE ATHAS
        Moore Theological College
        1 King St, Newtown 2042, Australia

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
          I'm dividing this message into 2 parts with 3 questions in response
          to the 4 earlier posts.

          --PART ONE--

          > nothing at all Achaemenid Persian except...
          > Judith Lerner

          > Not the least bit Achaemenid.
          > Trudy Kawami

          According to their Production Notes (OneNight_Prod_Notes.pdf), nearly
          all the filming took place in Jodhpur, India in the Umaid Bhawan
          Palace, the Maharanghar Fort, & the Balsamand Lake Palace.

          What always strikes me the most odd about the Biblical Epic genre is
          not the set style nor the costumes, but the overall cleanliness of
          everything.

          Question #1: Do any of you ANE-2 historians know if ancient royal
          palaces were actually kept "squeeky clean" the way they're usually
          depicted in the movies? Are there any cuneiform records suggesting
          attention to detail; for example, do they ever mention keeping the
          indoor areas free of insects, regularly cleaning the curtains,
          scrubbing the floors, polishing the solid gold gargantuan statues--
          you know, dare I say, ordinary modern-times housewife tasks?

          --PART TWO--

          > Luke Goss looks a bit like Viggo Mortensen
          > Nancy L. Jones

          > Not the Luke Goss of 80's UK boy-band "Bros" fame?
          > GEORGE ATHAS

          I had never heard of him until now, but apparently his band sold
          70,000 tickets to Wembley Stadium in less than an hour, & that was
          only on their 2nd tour--not too shabby (reported in an interview by
          Mark Moring in "Christianity Today"). In a behind-the-scenes promo
          video for the film, Goss made the following historical statements
          (which I'm paraphrasing):

          1) Five million people traveled with Xerxes, including 1.2 million
          footsoldiers, cavalry, & servants.

          2) Xerxes' personal bodyguards were called "The Immortal 10,000".

          3) Xerxes ruled over "16 or more nations".

          http://www.8x.com/onenight/video_02New.html

          Another interview in "Christianity Today" with the female lead,
          Tiffany Dupont, quotes her saying, "I'm not a scholar on this, but I
          believe ... the king would have been in his 60s or 70s." (Note--Goss
          is 38.)

          http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/interviews/tiffanydupont.html

          Question #2: Are these statements anywhere near historical reality
          as you ANE-2 historians know it? If not, please correct.

          The Production Notes also say, "Once in India, Goss was further able
          to add to his research & preparation by spending time with the
          Maharajah of Jodhpur, witnessing firsthand the mannerisms &
          personality of real life royalty from a culture not too dissimilar
          from that of ancient Persia."

          Question #3: Would any ANE-2 members care to express their opinion
          on which, if any, modern places they would go to if they wanted to
          get a feel for how real-life royalty lived in ancient Persia (or
          Assyria or Babylon for that matter)? In other words, what would you
          have recommended to this film's producers to help them recreate not
          just the palace, but LIFE in the palace of King Xerxes?

          George Michael Grena, II
          Redondo Beach, CA
        • Judith Lerner
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
            With apologies for cross-posting, Agusti Alemany of the Department of
            Sciences of Antiquity and Middle Ages, Autonomous University of Barcelona,
            has asked me to inform List members of the following:

            SCYTHIANS, SARMATIANS, ALANS: Iranian-Speaking Nomads of the Eurasian
            Steppes

            Autonomous University of Barcelona, 7-11 May 2007

            We are pleased to announce the upcoming International Conference "Scythians,
            Sarmatians, Alans - Iranian-Speaking Nomads of the Eurasian Steppes", which
            will be held at the Autonomous University of Barcelona from Monday 7th to
            Friday 11th May 2007, in close collaboration with the Institute of Ethnology
            and Anthropology RAN (Moscow). The main objectives of this conference are
            [1] to act as a forum for discussion and to promote scholarly exchange
            between Eastern and Western academics dealing with this subject, and [2] to
            bring together leading authorities in the field, in order to provide a
            state-of-the-art overview of the archaeology, art, history, language and
            culture of the Iranian nomads of the Eurasian steppes, to be published as
            proceedings in both English and Russian. However, so as to facilitate
            scientific exchange, participants are strongly encouraged to submit their
            papers in English (or, eventually, French). Applicants should initially
            register their interest in attending the conference by filling in the
            application (click on "Paper Submission Download") and returning a copy of
            this document to the E-Mail address cg.iranian.steppe.nomads@... by 1
            December 2006. For more information, please refer to the website:
            <http://seneca.uab.es/antiguitat/SCYTHIANS/CONGRESS.htm>

            Judith Lerner

          • OAK
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
              Yes they should have listened to the ol' boy -- things went down hill fast when he moved on ....

              Oak

            • victor
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 13, 2006
                What always strikes me the most odd about the Biblical Epic genre is
                not the set style nor the costumes, but the overall cleanliness of
                everything.

                Question #1: Do any of you ANE-2 historians know if ancient royal
                palaces were actually kept "squeeky clean" the way they're usually
                depicted in the movies? Are there any cuneiform records suggesting
                attention to detail; for example, do they ever mention keeping the
                indoor areas free of insects, regularly cleaning the curtains,
                scrubbing the floors, polishing the solid gold gargantuan statues--
                you know, dare I say, ordinary modern-times housewife tasks?

                Dear Trudy,
                This is an interesting question and I must admit that I've never looked into
                is seriously. But there are words Sumerian kisalluh and Akkadianized
                Sumerian terms kisalluhhu and kisalluhhatu meaning "male and female
                courtyard sweepers" and a job called kisallahhutu. So you can start there.
                My gut feeling is that there were some ancient Mesopotamians as keen on
                being clean as some modern people. But that would take lots of work to
                investigate, let alone prove. And then, there is the question of ritual
                purity as opposed to cleanliness, etc. They are related but not identical.
                Also, cleanliness is also related to space. What space was to be kept clean?
                An entire house? A courtyard? A bed room? A kitchen?
                Victor

                Victor Hurowitz BGU
              • funhistory
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 13, 2006
                  > A particular gaffe is the Star of David on a curtain.
                  > Judith Lerner

                  I just returned from a matinee showing, & it was a fantastic film!
                  While a detailed review would not be appropriate for ANE-2 (I'll blog
                  it tomorrow--write to me offline for the URL), I was anxious to get
                  back here & report to Judith Lerner that the "Star of David on a
                  curtain" she sees in the promo photos is ***NOT***--I repeat--
                  ***NOT*** a "Star of David on a curtain"!!! It was an incredibly
                  clever twist at the film's climax, that you will not be able to
                  figure out without seeing the film (unless the ANE-2 moderators would
                  like me to spoil it). I was particularly impressed with the stunning
                  visual effects from the computer-generated fly-over of the kingdom;
                  the waterfalls from the palace were awesome (even if not
                  historical). The biggest disappoint for ANE historians will be
                  seeing vellum scrolls written in cuneiform--a royal library full of
                  them! But the overall story is compelling & well done. Interesting
                  issues raised regarding the rise of something called "democracy" in
                  Greece.

                  George Michael Grena, II
                  Redondo Beach, CA