Strange early building with paintings found in Syria

  • Bjarte Kaldhol
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2006
      Dear Listmembers,

      After some googling (and substituting Dja'de for Ja'de), I managed to find a
      photo of the paintings:

      http://www.mom.fr/archeorient/FICHES/fiches_actuelles/COQUEUGNIOT.html

      Apparently, the find has been known for some time.

      Best wishes,

      Bjarte Kaldhol

    • Trudy Kawami
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 10, 2006
        Bjarte,
        Thank you for your efforts. The photo is very nice!
        I had two thoughts on looking at it. One was that the checkerboard
        patterns recall textiles and painted plaster makes a nice permanenrt
        wall hanging.
        The second thought was that the red is very intense, more like
        vermillion or cinnabar (a mercury compound) than the usual iron oxide
        reds excountered in the Neolithic. Cinnabar is found in the mountains of
        southern Anatolia so its appearance & use at this early date is not
        impossible.
        Trudy Kawami