RE: [ANE-2] One Night with the King

  • Trudy Kawami
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6, 2006
      Where DID they get that winged lion? Not the least bit Achaemenid.
      Trudy Kawami

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 7, 2006
        This is probably as accurate as the Veggie Tales version...

        Actually, my first thought when I saw the trailer was -- what's Aragorn doing
        here???

        Luke Goss looks a bit like Viggo Mortensen... (For those out of the loop --
        Aragorn is a major character in a set of fantasy books/movies called -- The
        Lord of the Rings -- Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers & the Return of
        the King)

        Nancy L. Jones
        interested amateur
      • George Athas
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 8, 2006
          Not the Luke Goss of 80's UK boy-band "Bros" fame? Playing Xerxes?

          Best Regards,

          GEORGE ATHAS
          Moore Theological College
          1 King St, Newtown 2042, Australia

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
            I'm dividing this message into 2 parts with 3 questions in response
            to the 4 earlier posts.

            --PART ONE--

            > nothing at all Achaemenid Persian except...
            > Judith Lerner

            > Not the least bit Achaemenid.
            > Trudy Kawami

            According to their Production Notes (OneNight_Prod_Notes.pdf), nearly
            all the filming took place in Jodhpur, India in the Umaid Bhawan
            Palace, the Maharanghar Fort, & the Balsamand Lake Palace.

            What always strikes me the most odd about the Biblical Epic genre is
            not the set style nor the costumes, but the overall cleanliness of
            everything.

            Question #1: Do any of you ANE-2 historians know if ancient royal
            palaces were actually kept "squeeky clean" the way they're usually
            depicted in the movies? Are there any cuneiform records suggesting
            attention to detail; for example, do they ever mention keeping the
            indoor areas free of insects, regularly cleaning the curtains,
            scrubbing the floors, polishing the solid gold gargantuan statues--
            you know, dare I say, ordinary modern-times housewife tasks?

            --PART TWO--

            > Luke Goss looks a bit like Viggo Mortensen
            > Nancy L. Jones

            > Not the Luke Goss of 80's UK boy-band "Bros" fame?
            > GEORGE ATHAS

            I had never heard of him until now, but apparently his band sold
            70,000 tickets to Wembley Stadium in less than an hour, & that was
            only on their 2nd tour--not too shabby (reported in an interview by
            Mark Moring in "Christianity Today"). In a behind-the-scenes promo
            video for the film, Goss made the following historical statements
            (which I'm paraphrasing):

            1) Five million people traveled with Xerxes, including 1.2 million
            footsoldiers, cavalry, & servants.

            2) Xerxes' personal bodyguards were called "The Immortal 10,000".

            3) Xerxes ruled over "16 or more nations".

            http://www.8x.com/onenight/video_02New.html

            Another interview in "Christianity Today" with the female lead,
            Tiffany Dupont, quotes her saying, "I'm not a scholar on this, but I
            believe ... the king would have been in his 60s or 70s." (Note--Goss
            is 38.)

            http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/interviews/tiffanydupont.html

            Question #2: Are these statements anywhere near historical reality
            as you ANE-2 historians know it? If not, please correct.

            The Production Notes also say, "Once in India, Goss was further able
            to add to his research & preparation by spending time with the
            Maharajah of Jodhpur, witnessing firsthand the mannerisms &
            personality of real life royalty from a culture not too dissimilar
            from that of ancient Persia."

            Question #3: Would any ANE-2 members care to express their opinion
            on which, if any, modern places they would go to if they wanted to
            get a feel for how real-life royalty lived in ancient Persia (or
            Assyria or Babylon for that matter)? In other words, what would you
            have recommended to this film's producers to help them recreate not
            just the palace, but LIFE in the palace of King Xerxes?

            George Michael Grena, II
            Redondo Beach, CA
          • Judith Lerner
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
              With apologies for cross-posting, Agusti Alemany of the Department of
              Sciences of Antiquity and Middle Ages, Autonomous University of Barcelona,
              has asked me to inform List members of the following:

              SCYTHIANS, SARMATIANS, ALANS: Iranian-Speaking Nomads of the Eurasian
              Steppes

              Autonomous University of Barcelona, 7-11 May 2007

              We are pleased to announce the upcoming International Conference "Scythians,
              Sarmatians, Alans - Iranian-Speaking Nomads of the Eurasian Steppes", which
              will be held at the Autonomous University of Barcelona from Monday 7th to
              Friday 11th May 2007, in close collaboration with the Institute of Ethnology
              and Anthropology RAN (Moscow). The main objectives of this conference are
              [1] to act as a forum for discussion and to promote scholarly exchange
              between Eastern and Western academics dealing with this subject, and [2] to
              bring together leading authorities in the field, in order to provide a
              state-of-the-art overview of the archaeology, art, history, language and
              culture of the Iranian nomads of the Eurasian steppes, to be published as
              proceedings in both English and Russian. However, so as to facilitate
              scientific exchange, participants are strongly encouraged to submit their
              papers in English (or, eventually, French). Applicants should initially
              register their interest in attending the conference by filling in the
              application (click on "Paper Submission Download") and returning a copy of
              this document to the E-Mail address cg.iranian.steppe.nomads@... by 1
              December 2006. For more information, please refer to the website:
              <http://seneca.uab.es/antiguitat/SCYTHIANS/CONGRESS.htm>

              Judith Lerner

            • OAK
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
                Yes they should have listened to the ol' boy -- things went down hill fast when he moved on ....

                Oak

              • victor
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 13, 2006
                  What always strikes me the most odd about the Biblical Epic genre is
                  not the set style nor the costumes, but the overall cleanliness of
                  everything.

                  Question #1: Do any of you ANE-2 historians know if ancient royal
                  palaces were actually kept "squeeky clean" the way they're usually
                  depicted in the movies? Are there any cuneiform records suggesting
                  attention to detail; for example, do they ever mention keeping the
                  indoor areas free of insects, regularly cleaning the curtains,
                  scrubbing the floors, polishing the solid gold gargantuan statues--
                  you know, dare I say, ordinary modern-times housewife tasks?

                  Dear Trudy,
                  This is an interesting question and I must admit that I've never looked into
                  is seriously. But there are words Sumerian kisalluh and Akkadianized
                  Sumerian terms kisalluhhu and kisalluhhatu meaning "male and female
                  courtyard sweepers" and a job called kisallahhutu. So you can start there.
                  My gut feeling is that there were some ancient Mesopotamians as keen on
                  being clean as some modern people. But that would take lots of work to
                  investigate, let alone prove. And then, there is the question of ritual
                  purity as opposed to cleanliness, etc. They are related but not identical.
                  Also, cleanliness is also related to space. What space was to be kept clean?
                  An entire house? A courtyard? A bed room? A kitchen?
                  Victor

                  Victor Hurowitz BGU
                • funhistory
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 13, 2006
                    > A particular gaffe is the Star of David on a curtain.
                    > Judith Lerner

                    I just returned from a matinee showing, & it was a fantastic film!
                    While a detailed review would not be appropriate for ANE-2 (I'll blog
                    it tomorrow--write to me offline for the URL), I was anxious to get
                    back here & report to Judith Lerner that the "Star of David on a
                    curtain" she sees in the promo photos is ***NOT***--I repeat--
                    ***NOT*** a "Star of David on a curtain"!!! It was an incredibly
                    clever twist at the film's climax, that you will not be able to
                    figure out without seeing the film (unless the ANE-2 moderators would
                    like me to spoil it). I was particularly impressed with the stunning
                    visual effects from the computer-generated fly-over of the kingdom;
                    the waterfalls from the palace were awesome (even if not
                    historical). The biggest disappoint for ANE historians will be
                    seeing vellum scrolls written in cuneiform--a royal library full of
                    them! But the overall story is compelling & well done. Interesting
                    issues raised regarding the rise of something called "democracy" in
                    Greece.

                    George Michael Grena, II
                    Redondo Beach, CA