RE: [ANE-2] One Night with the King

  • Judith Lerner
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6, 2006
      Impressive, maybe, but pure Bollywood! Look at the stills: nothing at all
      Achaemenid Persian except some winged bulls at the gateways and capitals in
      the shape of lions in a columned hall (though completely inaccurate in
      style). A pity, too, when so much accurate visual material was easily
      available to the production and costume designers. Would be nice to see a
      film that attempted to recreate the architecture, relief sculpture, clothing
      and crowns animated by real people, in addition to the more scholarly
      reconstructions like "Persepolis Recreated" which the public would not be
      aware of (nor probably very interested in anyway). A particular gaffe is the
      Star of David on a curtain. But what can one expect of a movie with the
      subtitle, "One Night with the King."

      Judith Lerner

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 6, 2006
        Where DID they get that winged lion? Not the least bit Achaemenid.
        Trudy Kawami

        ________________________________

        This film, which will hit theaters bigtime next week, is advertised
        as "The True Story of Queen Esther" (though the script is based on a
        modern novel). Maybe other members will be interested in it for its
        entertainment value; I just found out about it last night. I'm sure
        many historians & researchers try to imagine what life was actually
        like in the reign of Xerxes, & the visuals offered in the online
        trailer & press photos are impressive:

        http://www.8x.com/onenight/index.html
        <http://www.8x.com/onenight/index.html>

        George Michael Grena, II
        Redondo Beach, CA

      • nljfs@wideopenwest.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 7, 2006
          This is probably as accurate as the Veggie Tales version...

          Actually, my first thought when I saw the trailer was -- what's Aragorn doing
          here???

          Luke Goss looks a bit like Viggo Mortensen... (For those out of the loop --
          Aragorn is a major character in a set of fantasy books/movies called -- The
          Lord of the Rings -- Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers & the Return of
          the King)

          Nancy L. Jones
          interested amateur
        • George Athas
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 8, 2006
            Not the Luke Goss of 80's UK boy-band "Bros" fame? Playing Xerxes?

            Best Regards,

            GEORGE ATHAS
            Moore Theological College
            1 King St, Newtown 2042, Australia

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
              I'm dividing this message into 2 parts with 3 questions in response
              to the 4 earlier posts.

              --PART ONE--

              > nothing at all Achaemenid Persian except...
              > Judith Lerner

              > Not the least bit Achaemenid.
              > Trudy Kawami

              According to their Production Notes (OneNight_Prod_Notes.pdf), nearly
              all the filming took place in Jodhpur, India in the Umaid Bhawan
              Palace, the Maharanghar Fort, & the Balsamand Lake Palace.

              What always strikes me the most odd about the Biblical Epic genre is
              not the set style nor the costumes, but the overall cleanliness of
              everything.

              Question #1: Do any of you ANE-2 historians know if ancient royal
              palaces were actually kept "squeeky clean" the way they're usually
              depicted in the movies? Are there any cuneiform records suggesting
              attention to detail; for example, do they ever mention keeping the
              indoor areas free of insects, regularly cleaning the curtains,
              scrubbing the floors, polishing the solid gold gargantuan statues--
              you know, dare I say, ordinary modern-times housewife tasks?

              --PART TWO--

              > Luke Goss looks a bit like Viggo Mortensen
              > Nancy L. Jones

              > Not the Luke Goss of 80's UK boy-band "Bros" fame?
              > GEORGE ATHAS

              I had never heard of him until now, but apparently his band sold
              70,000 tickets to Wembley Stadium in less than an hour, & that was
              only on their 2nd tour--not too shabby (reported in an interview by
              Mark Moring in "Christianity Today"). In a behind-the-scenes promo
              video for the film, Goss made the following historical statements
              (which I'm paraphrasing):

              1) Five million people traveled with Xerxes, including 1.2 million
              footsoldiers, cavalry, & servants.

              2) Xerxes' personal bodyguards were called "The Immortal 10,000".

              3) Xerxes ruled over "16 or more nations".

              http://www.8x.com/onenight/video_02New.html

              Another interview in "Christianity Today" with the female lead,
              Tiffany Dupont, quotes her saying, "I'm not a scholar on this, but I
              believe ... the king would have been in his 60s or 70s." (Note--Goss
              is 38.)

              http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/interviews/tiffanydupont.html

              Question #2: Are these statements anywhere near historical reality
              as you ANE-2 historians know it? If not, please correct.

              The Production Notes also say, "Once in India, Goss was further able
              to add to his research & preparation by spending time with the
              Maharajah of Jodhpur, witnessing firsthand the mannerisms &
              personality of real life royalty from a culture not too dissimilar
              from that of ancient Persia."

              Question #3: Would any ANE-2 members care to express their opinion
              on which, if any, modern places they would go to if they wanted to
              get a feel for how real-life royalty lived in ancient Persia (or
              Assyria or Babylon for that matter)? In other words, what would you
              have recommended to this film's producers to help them recreate not
              just the palace, but LIFE in the palace of King Xerxes?

              George Michael Grena, II
              Redondo Beach, CA
            • Judith Lerner
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
                With apologies for cross-posting, Agusti Alemany of the Department of
                Sciences of Antiquity and Middle Ages, Autonomous University of Barcelona,
                has asked me to inform List members of the following:

                SCYTHIANS, SARMATIANS, ALANS: Iranian-Speaking Nomads of the Eurasian
                Steppes

                Autonomous University of Barcelona, 7-11 May 2007

                We are pleased to announce the upcoming International Conference "Scythians,
                Sarmatians, Alans - Iranian-Speaking Nomads of the Eurasian Steppes", which
                will be held at the Autonomous University of Barcelona from Monday 7th to
                Friday 11th May 2007, in close collaboration with the Institute of Ethnology
                and Anthropology RAN (Moscow). The main objectives of this conference are
                [1] to act as a forum for discussion and to promote scholarly exchange
                between Eastern and Western academics dealing with this subject, and [2] to
                bring together leading authorities in the field, in order to provide a
                state-of-the-art overview of the archaeology, art, history, language and
                culture of the Iranian nomads of the Eurasian steppes, to be published as
                proceedings in both English and Russian. However, so as to facilitate
                scientific exchange, participants are strongly encouraged to submit their
                papers in English (or, eventually, French). Applicants should initially
                register their interest in attending the conference by filling in the
                application (click on "Paper Submission Download") and returning a copy of
                this document to the E-Mail address cg.iranian.steppe.nomads@... by 1
                December 2006. For more information, please refer to the website:
                <http://seneca.uab.es/antiguitat/SCYTHIANS/CONGRESS.htm>

                Judith Lerner

              • OAK
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 12, 2006
                  Yes they should have listened to the ol' boy -- things went down hill fast when he moved on ....

                  Oak

                • victor
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 13, 2006
                    What always strikes me the most odd about the Biblical Epic genre is
                    not the set style nor the costumes, but the overall cleanliness of
                    everything.

                    Question #1: Do any of you ANE-2 historians know if ancient royal
                    palaces were actually kept "squeeky clean" the way they're usually
                    depicted in the movies? Are there any cuneiform records suggesting
                    attention to detail; for example, do they ever mention keeping the
                    indoor areas free of insects, regularly cleaning the curtains,
                    scrubbing the floors, polishing the solid gold gargantuan statues--
                    you know, dare I say, ordinary modern-times housewife tasks?

                    Dear Trudy,
                    This is an interesting question and I must admit that I've never looked into
                    is seriously. But there are words Sumerian kisalluh and Akkadianized
                    Sumerian terms kisalluhhu and kisalluhhatu meaning "male and female
                    courtyard sweepers" and a job called kisallahhutu. So you can start there.
                    My gut feeling is that there were some ancient Mesopotamians as keen on
                    being clean as some modern people. But that would take lots of work to
                    investigate, let alone prove. And then, there is the question of ritual
                    purity as opposed to cleanliness, etc. They are related but not identical.
                    Also, cleanliness is also related to space. What space was to be kept clean?
                    An entire house? A courtyard? A bed room? A kitchen?
                    Victor

                    Victor Hurowitz BGU
                  • funhistory
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 13, 2006
                      > A particular gaffe is the Star of David on a curtain.
                      > Judith Lerner

                      I just returned from a matinee showing, & it was a fantastic film!
                      While a detailed review would not be appropriate for ANE-2 (I'll blog
                      it tomorrow--write to me offline for the URL), I was anxious to get
                      back here & report to Judith Lerner that the "Star of David on a
                      curtain" she sees in the promo photos is ***NOT***--I repeat--
                      ***NOT*** a "Star of David on a curtain"!!! It was an incredibly
                      clever twist at the film's climax, that you will not be able to
                      figure out without seeing the film (unless the ANE-2 moderators would
                      like me to spoil it). I was particularly impressed with the stunning
                      visual effects from the computer-generated fly-over of the kingdom;
                      the waterfalls from the palace were awesome (even if not
                      historical). The biggest disappoint for ANE historians will be
                      seeing vellum scrolls written in cuneiform--a royal library full of
                      them! But the overall story is compelling & well done. Interesting
                      issues raised regarding the rise of something called "democracy" in
                      Greece.

                      George Michael Grena, II
                      Redondo Beach, CA