Re: [ANE-2] Strange early building with paintings found i Syria

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
      On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Bjarte Kaldhol wrote:

      > Dear Listmembers,
      >
      > There is an AFP report about "a large circular building dating back to
      > 8,800 BC" found by French archaeologists near Ja'de in Syria. The
      > building seems to have had a collective use, and part of the building
      > takes the shape of the head of a bull and retains painted decorations,
      > the oldest known in the Middle East." They are multi-coloured
      > geometrical paintings".
      >
      > Does anyone know more about the find? Any chance of seeing photos of the
      > decorations?

      There is a photograph of the excavation at
      <http://metimes.com/storyview.php?StoryID=20061004-045017-4695r> but I
      haven't seen any photos of the decorations that are recognizable as such.
      A cropped and somewhat enlarged version of the same photograph can be seen
      at <http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=17731>. All the news
      accounts that I have seen quote the same press release.

      Bob Whiting
      whiting@...