Strange early building with paintings found i Syria

  • Bjarte Kaldhol
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
      Dear Listmembers,

      There is an AFP report about "a large circular building dating back to 8,800
      BC" found by French archaeologists near Ja'de in Syria. The building seems
      to have had a collective use, and part of the building takes the shape of
      the head of a bull and retains painted decorations, the oldest known in the
      Middle East." They are multi-coloured geometrical paintings".

      Does anyone know more about the find? Any chance of seeing photos of the
      decorations?

      Best wishes,

      Bjarte Kaldhol

    • Robert M Whiting
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
        On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Bjarte Kaldhol wrote:

        > Dear Listmembers,
        >
        > There is an AFP report about "a large circular building dating back to
        > 8,800 BC" found by French archaeologists near Ja'de in Syria. The
        > building seems to have had a collective use, and part of the building
        > takes the shape of the head of a bull and retains painted decorations,
        > the oldest known in the Middle East." They are multi-coloured
        > geometrical paintings".
        >
        > Does anyone know more about the find? Any chance of seeing photos of the
        > decorations?

        There is a photograph of the excavation at
        <http://metimes.com/storyview.php?StoryID=20061004-045017-4695r> but I
        haven't seen any photos of the decorations that are recognizable as such.
        A cropped and somewhat enlarged version of the same photograph can be seen
        at <http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=17731>. All the news
        accounts that I have seen quote the same press release.

        Bob Whiting
        whiting@...