Ancient World Mapping Center’s Pleiades Project

  • cejo@uchicago.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2006
      Forwarded with the permission of the undersigned [CJ]:

      The staff of the Ancient World Mapping Center’s Pleiades Project is
      pleased to report that it has met its “Geo Prime” milestone, effective 2
      October 2006.

      The “Geo Prime” milestone was structured to demonstrate, in a modified
      version of the Plone Content Management System, basic geographic
      capabilities needed by the Project. A demonstration version is running
      on a server supplied by the Stoa Consortium
      (http://icon.stoa.org/pleiades-beta). The custom software we have
      developed in order to add these capabilities is being released to the
      public simultaneously under the rubric “Pleiades Software Release 0.6″.
      Full information about the project is available at

      Pleiades is an international research network and associated web portal
      and content management system devoted to the study of ancient geography.
      Funding for the creation of this software was provided by a grant from
      the U.S. National Endowment for the Humanities.

      Achieving this milestone required more than software development. We
      also made it our goal to prepare and demonstrate rudimentary,
      Plone-ready versions of the point features cataloged by the American
      Philological Association’s Classical Atlas Project for presentation in
      “Map 65 - Lycia-Pisidia” of the Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman
      World (R. Talbert, ed., Princeton, 2000). Together with “unlocated” and
      “false” toponyms reported in the associated Directory, compiled together
      with the map by C. Foss and S. Mitchell, this dataset numbers over 300
      discrete geographic entities and over 300 historic geographic names. The
      Atlas Project’s data have been reformatted as an XML gazetteer, loosely
      based on the Gazetteer Content Standard outlined by the Alexandria
      Digital Library Project, wherein they have been united with geographic
      coordinates created from the compilation map via on-screen digitization
      in a Geographic Information System (GIS).

      We have imported the contents of the gazetteer files into Plone, where
      they now reside as “content objects,” structured according to the
      dictates of our custom GeographicEntityLite software product. As such,
      they can be mapped, modified, subjected to editorial workflow and
      exported to other formats as provided by the Plone infrastructure and
      our own custom geospatial products (PleiadesGeocoder and

      This milestone and associated software release is the first of many
      envisioned for the two-year startup phase of the Project. As such, it
      represents only an initial installment in terms of required capabilities
      and features. Future milestones may be consulted via the Project Roadmap

      Tom Elliott, Ph.D.
      Director, Pleiades Project
      Ancient World Mapping Center