Sumerian Gilgamesh?

  • wrwmattfeld
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
      Gardner and Maier made the following observations:
      "When George Smith read Enkidu as "Heaban," he was reading the signs
      in Akkadian, whereas we now prefer to read the signs in Sumerian,
      since Gilgamesh and Enkidu were originally Sumerian figures." (p.
      282. "Appendix." John Gardner & John Maier. Gilgamesh, Translated
      From the Sin-Leqi-Unninni Version. 1985. New York. Vintage Books)
      and
      "...Tigay's book...maps out the "evolution" of te Gilgamesh from its
      early Sumerian forms through the first great effort at unification
      in the Old Babylonian period, through Middle Babylonian, Hittite,
      and Late Assyrian versions..." (p. viii. "Preface." Gardner and
      Maier)

      My query:

      The steppe Enkidu roams is rendered seri in Akkadian. I note that
      some scolars have observed that Akkadian seri replaced Sumerian
      edin (edin-na) over time.

      Does anyone know if any compositions exist of the Gilgamesh epic in
      Sumerian where Enkidu is portrayed wandering an edin (steppe) rather
      than the later Akkadian seri (seru, serim)? Can a bibliography be
      reccomended on the appearnce of the term edin as regards Gilgamesh
      texts?

      Regards, Walter
      Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld y de la Torre, M. A. Ed.
      www.bibleorigins.net
    • Tomáš Mar(ík
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2006
        wrwmattfeld wrote:

        >My query:
        >
        >The steppe Enkidu roams is rendered seri in Akkadian. I note that
        >some scolars have observed that Akkadian seri replaced Sumerian
        >edin (edin-na) over time.
        >
        >Does anyone know if any compositions exist of the Gilgamesh epic in
        >Sumerian where Enkidu is portrayed wandering an edin (steppe) rather
        >than the later Akkadian seri (seru, serim)? Can a bibliography be
        >reccomended on the appearnce of the term edin as regards Gilgamesh
        >texts?

        No. In the Sumerian Epics Enkidu is not described wandering edin nor
        seru, in addition, seru is Akkadian and so hardly to be expected in
        Sumerian Epic.
        The Gilgamesh Epics in the Oxford Corpus
        http://etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/etcsl.cgi?text=c.1.8.1*#
        have edin obviously only in Gilgamesh and Huwawa A as part of the
        designation "dark garden of the steppe".

        Tomas Marik
        tomas.marik@...
      • wrwmattfeld
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
          Dear Tomas,
          Thankyou for the information and reference.

          mattfeld12@...