Even Hatshepsut Podcasts Now!

  • funhistory
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2006
      The Metropolitan Museum of Art has recently begun offering podcasts
      of their special exhibitions including that of Hatshepsut from
      earlier this year:

      http://www.metmuseum.org/events/ev_podcast.asp

      It's an 11-minute narration from a local PBS radio station (WQXR)
      with an actor reading the part of excavator, Herbert Winlock. He
      describes finding "The Hatshepsut Hole" at the Deir el-Bahri mortuary
      temple. I got a kick out of his description of finding foundation
      stones of an 11th dynasty wall "meters above" 18th dynasty artifacts
      (scarabs & beads)!

      This downloadable .MP3 is a nice idea, & I hope more museums catch on
      & offer them for future exhibits. It's not the same as an audio
      guide that you'd hear while strolling through the exhibit; it's
      simply intended as a supplement before or after.

      "Hatshepsut: From Queen to Pharaoh" has since moved to The Kimbell
      Art Museum in Fort Worth, TX:

      http://www.kimbellart.org/exhibitions/exhibitions.cfm?id=29

      George Michael Grena, II
      Redondo Beach, CA
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2006
        WQXR is a radio station, hence not PBS (a television network), and it is a commercial station wholly owned by the New York Times (hence not NPR).