The God Haldi

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2006
      Found no God of this name in RLA, but references to these

      Chadatashshi, Heth. Göttern ame ... 'der des Rufens' (Laroche), and
      Chaldi'asira, Gottheit (urartäischer Herkunft?) (Edzard).

      In COS III, p. 219, an Aramaic Stela Fragment (the Bukan
      inscription), a God Chaldi is mentioned together with Hadad: e.g. l.
      11: 'May Hadad and Chaldi overturn his throne'. A note describes
      Chaldi as an Urartean god of war, and Paul E. Zimanski describes him
      as the principal god of Urartu--however without Hurrian connotations:
      Se Zimamsky, 'The Kingdom of Urartu in Eastern Anatolia', CANE II
      (1995, pp. 1135-1146, pp. 1144-5.

      You will need to provide more solid evidence of 1: occurrences of
      this god that predates the first millennium BCE (Urartu belongs to
      that milennium and not the 2nd).
      2. You need to watch more closely what we know about this god from
      Urartean inscriptions.
      3. You have to find evidence of emerging monotheism among the
      Urateans of the 1st millennium.

      As to 3, it is not absolutely impossible as we are down into a period
      with emerging monotheism all over the ANE: See more on this Herbert
      Niehr, Der Höchste Gott. Alttestamentlicher JHWH-Glaube im Kontext
      syrisch-kanaanäischer Religion des 1. Jahrtausends v.Chr, BZAW:
      Berlin, de Gruyter 1990.

      DDD has no entry dealing with this God

      NPLemche
    • victor avigdor hurowitz
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2006
        DDD would have no reference to Haldi because no one has suggested that he
        is mentioned in the Bible, which is the criteria for inclusion in DDD.
        I mentioned in a previous email which seems not to have arrived at
        ANE-2 that Haldi is the Urartean god mentioned
        in Sargon's 8th campaign. That inscription contains a very detailed
        Kultinventar of Haldi's temple and also mentions a Mrs Haldi, Bagbarta
        i$tar$u (l. 423; I call her affectionately Big Bertha).
        Victor

        On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

        > Found no God of this name in RLA, but references to these
        >
        > Chadatashshi, Heth. Göttern ame ... 'der des Rufens' (Laroche), and
        > Chaldi'asira, Gottheit (urartäischer Herkunft?) (Edzard).
        >
        > In COS III, p. 219, an Aramaic Stela Fragment (the Bukan
        > inscription), a God Chaldi is mentioned together with Hadad: e.g. l.
        > 11: 'May Hadad and Chaldi overturn his throne'. A note describes
        > Chaldi as an Urartean god of war, and Paul E. Zimanski describes him
        > as the principal god of Urartu--however without Hurrian connotations:
        > Se Zimamsky, 'The Kingdom of Urartu in Eastern Anatolia', CANE II
        > (1995, pp. 1135-1146, pp. 1144-5.
        >
        > You will need to provide more solid evidence of 1: occurrences of
        > this god that predates the first millennium BCE (Urartu belongs to
        > that milennium and not the 2nd).
        > 2. You need to watch more closely what we know about this god from
        > Urartean inscriptions.
        > 3. You have to find evidence of emerging monotheism among the
        > Urateans of the 1st millennium.
        >
        > As to 3, it is not absolutely impossible as we are down into a period
        > with emerging monotheism all over the ANE: See more on this Herbert
        > Niehr, Der Höchste Gott. Alttestamentlicher JHWH-Glaube im Kontext
        > syrisch-kanaanäischer Religion des 1. Jahrtausends v.Chr, BZAW:
        > Berlin, de Gruyter 1990.
        >
        > DDD has no entry dealing with this God
        >
        > NPLemche
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Patrick Ryan
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 16, 2006
          Thank you for the detailed answer. In my drowsy state, I misstated Hurrian rather than Urartian.

          I am not proposing Haldi as a monotheistic god only wondering if someone else has.

          I thought someone researching early monotheistic tendencies might have come across some indications.

          Perhaps my question was rather naïve.

          Patrick
[...]

          Urarteans of the 1st millennium.

          As to 3, it is not absolutely impossible as we are down into a period
          with emerging monotheism all over the ANE: See more on this Herbert
          Niehr, Der Höchste Gott. Alttestamentlicher JHWH-Glaube im Kontext
          syrisch-kanaanäischer Religion des 1. Jahrtausends v.Chr, BZAW:
          Berlin, de Gruyter 1990.

          DDD has no entry dealing with this God

          NPLemche

          SPONSORED LINKS Near<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t==ms&k==Near&w1==Near&w2==Ancient&w3==University+of+chicago&c==3&s=P&.sig==aVz6i_8jEdKbBX8H7JNf2A> Ancient<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t==ms&k==Ancient&w1==Near&w2==Ancient&w3==University+of+chicago&c==3&s=P&.sig==i__45E9H9auv49UTibKO4g> University of chicago<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t==ms&k==University+of+chicago&w1==Near&w2==Ancient&w3==University+of+chicago&c==3&s=P&.sig==YnBSDXrWnRu6PQo-N0zxtg>

        • Trudy Kawami
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 16, 2006
            Patrick,

            Given the tendency in the first mill BCE to equate single deities with nation-states (Assyria is the clearest example) it's not monotheism but nationalism behind the "elevation" of specific deities.

            Trudy Kawami