RE: [ANE-2] A new beginning

  • Victor Hurowitz
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
      Have a look at

      Kvanvig,
      <javascript:open_window(%22http://dahab.bgu.ac.il:80/F/6IKSRLUS2LRCC11B94VVY
      85N53MAGHKHSVA9HMHBS2MBMNNSAN-03129?func=service&doc_number=001222661&line_n
      umber=0006&service_type=TAG%22);> Helge S., 1948-

      Title:

      Roots
      <javascript:open_window(%22http://dahab.bgu.ac.il:80/F/6IKSRLUS2LRCC11B94VVY
      85N53MAGHKHSVA9HMHBS2MBMNNSAN-03130?func=service&doc_number=001222661&line_n
      umber=0007&service_type=TAG%22);> of apocalyptic :
      the Mesopotamian background of the Enoch figure and of the Son of Man /
      Helge S. Kvanvig

      Published:

      Neukirchen-Vluyn
      <javascript:open_window(%22http://dahab.bgu.ac.il:80/F/6IKSRLUS2LRCC11B94VVY
      85N53MAGHKHSVA9HMHBS2MBMNNSAN-03131?func=service&doc_number=001222661&line_n
      umber=0008&service_type=TAG%22);> : Neukirchener Verlag, 1988

      Victor

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
        I'm not a Hurrologist and don't worship their gods, but isn't Haldi an
        Urartian god, the one mentioned in Sargon's 8th campaign?
        Victor

      • Trudy Kawami
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
          Bruce,

          I cannot give you a literary reference but there is a big visual one in
          the Hittite reliefs of Chamber B at Yazilikaya in central Anatolia where
          the Hittite king Tudhaliyas IV is shown walking by the side of his
          patron god Sharumma whose arm protectively encircles the king's
          shoulders.

          Trudy Kawami

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
            tkawami@... writes:

            Bruce,

            I cannot give you a literary reference but there is a big visual one in
            the Hittite reliefs of Chamber B at Yazilikaya in central Anatolia where
            the Hittite king Tudhaliyas IV is shown walking by the side of his
            patron god Sharumma whose arm protectively encircles the king's
            shoulders.

            Trudy Kawami

            Dear Trudy,

            Thanks very much - I will certainly follow this one up.

            :-)

            Bruce Gardner
            Aberdeen Scotland UK

          • Ariel L. Szczupak
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16, 2006
              At 11:02 16/02/2006, victor avigdor hurowitz wrote:
              >Woe Ariel, Ariel!

              ... the city where snow once settled ... :(

              >... if you insist on historicity ...

              Not only I don't insist on it, I'm not really interested in biblical
              historicity per se (as the ANE1 archive can show while it's still
              there). My interest is in the methodology for establishing, or not,
              the historicity of textual evidence in general. Biblical historicity
              is just one case, but it is an "active" battlefield, one in which
              accepted methodologies are determined by the scientific community,
              and, continuing the analogy, NPL is one of the warlords ...

              It was one of the first messages in the list and you quoted only DM's
              snipped version, so maybe you didn't see the full message. I used
              this example because it was handy, as something I was working on, for
              illustrating four issues, not just the historicity issue, that I
              think the moderators should consider. And possibly make guidelines
              and policies to address them. Four issues that are at this euphoric
              point theoretical, but judging from ANE1's history will become real
              soon enough. A kind of "better brush your teeth now than have a root
              canal job in the future" comment :)

              So don't cry for me ANE2 arena, I have no intention of initiating a
              biblical historicity thread.

              Ariel.

              ---
              Ariel L. Szczupak
              AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
              POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
              Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
              ane.als@... http://amis-jlm.co.il