[ANE-2] Islamic Studies programs

  • Donald Richard Vance Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2006
      This is a little off topic. I have an undergraduate student who is
      about to graduate who wants to go on to pursue a M.A. in Islamic
      Studies. He has done four semesters of Modern Standard Arabic at a
      local community college. Does anyone on this list have suggestions
      for good Islamic Studies programs? The American University in Cairo
      has a one year program in Arabic which makes sense to me a
      preparation for Islamic Studies. Would, in fact, Modern Standard
      Arabic be beneficial for an Islamic Studies program? Is this the time
      for Americans to go study in Cairo? Any help would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
      Professor of Biblical Languages and Literature
      Oral Roberts University
      dvance@...
      donaldrvance@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2006
        Well, Chicago isn't big on "terminal Master's," but isn't it still strong in Islamic Studies?

        As for Classical vs. Modern Arabic, that would depend on the student's areas of interest. If he's good at MSA, that's good preparation for Qur'anic and other literature.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2006
          The University of Chicago's Center for Middle Eastern Studies offers a very popular MA in Middle
          Eastern Studies: http://www.cmes.uchicago.edu/

          -Chuck Jones-