Re: Sumerian for Mountain of Heaven

  • Chris Weimer
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
      I'm not a Sumerian expert by a long shot, but indeed the words don't
      even match up. How do they account for the added 'a' and missing 't'?
      Furthermore, is there an actual word he presents, or merely did he
      pick and choose selected sounds to suit his theory? I honestly find no
      correlation between "to engulf" "sky" and "mountain" with Atlantis.
      There's nothing there but what he imagines it so!

      Chris Weimer

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Doug Weller <dweller@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I've been presented with something which I think is just another
      form of silliness, as I've been offered the word ATAL.AN.IS which is
      supposed to have something to do with a flood engulfing the Mountain
      of Heaven -- and therefore, something to do with, you guessed it,
      Atlantis!

      > I'm offered the following web sites as proof
      >
      > http://psd.museum.upenn.edu/epsd/epsd/e32.html
      > http://psd.museum.upenn.edu/epsd/epsd/e347.html
      > http://psd.museum.upenn.edu/epsd/epsd/e2746.html
      >
      > I know nothing about Sumerian, so I don't know if I should put any
      credence in this. Any Sumerian experts here?

      > Thanks
      >
      > Doug
      >

      > --
      > Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
      > Director and Moderator The Hall of Ma'at http://www.thehallofmaat.com
      > Doug and Helen's Dogs: http://www.dougandhelen.com
      > Doug's Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk

    • Trudy Kawami
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
        Doug,
        My first reaction was "Huhhh??" (by which you can see I am no Sumerologist). What was the context in which this word appeared? That "unit" ATAL looks very odd. As you can see from the Penn website, the word is written in TWO characters not one as implied by the lack of a period after the initial A. The entire "word" is odd indeed.
        Trudy Kawami

      • Marc Cooper
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
          This is nonsense, as you suspected. It doesn't make grammatical
          sense, nor does it appear in any real text. Also, the word for
          mountain is i$i, not is. Much better is Quenya "atalante" whch means
          the downfallen among the high elves. :-)

          Marc Cooper

          --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Doug Weller <dweller@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I've been presented with something which I think is just another
          form of silliness, as I've been offered the word ATAL.AN.IS which is
          supposed to have something to do with a flood engulfing the Mountain
          of Heaven -- and therefore, something to do with, you guessed it,
          Atlantis!

          > I'm offered the following web sites as proof
          >
          > http://psd.museum.upenn.edu/epsd/epsd/e32.html
          > http://psd.museum.upenn.edu/epsd/epsd/e347.html
          > http://psd.museum.upenn.edu/epsd/epsd/e2746.html
          >
          > I know nothing about Sumerian, so I don't know if I should put any
          credence in this. Any Sumerian experts here?

          > Thanks
          >
          > Doug
          >

          > --
          > Doug Weller Moderator, sci.archaeology.moderated
          > Director and Moderator The Hall of Ma'at
          http://www.thehallofmaat.com
          > Doug and Helen's Dogs: http://www.dougandhelen.com
          > Doug's Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk

        • Jan Picton
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
            'AN EGYPTIAN FANTASIA'

            An Egyptian Fantasia - a Celebration of Egypt Ancient and Modern will be a festival of food and culture, art and performance, and much more.
            Music and dance performances, story-telling, a display of authentic
            replica costumes, and exhibitions. The evening continues with a feast of Middle Eastern delicacies accompanied by further performance, with each table hosted by a guest Egyptologist. This will be followed by a guest speaker, Dr Barbara Mertz, better known as Elizabeth Peters, author of the successful Amelia Peabody Egyptian mysteries. The evening concludes with an auction of art and Egyptomania items.

            The auction will take place on the evening of September 16th but as with the annual Petrie Book Auction it is possible to participate online - items on view on www.ucl.ac.uk.FriendsofPetrie - follow the link and register to place bids by email

            organised by the Friends of the Petrie Museum
            Venue: South Cloisters UCL, Gower St, London WC1
            Time 4pm - midnight (or 4-6.30pm)
            Full ticket, 4pm - midnight, £200; prequel ticket, 4pm - 6.30pm, £50.

            For further information, visit the Friends of the Petrie Museum website
            (www.ucl.ac.uk/FriendsofPetrie) or contact Jan Picton
            (j.picton@...). For enquiries about the event please contact Jan
            Picton on 07761 823129, or at the Petrie Museum UCL, Malet Place, London
            WC1E 6BT.

            --
          • Doug Weller
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
              Thanks.
              He won't give up, his latest post (in reply to mine, where one of the things I said, and I still think I am right, is that Sumerian is verb final, but he gives an example where it isn't) is here:

              ""THere is no word ATAL"

              so why does this say there is
              [psd.museum.upenn.edu]

              And the Sumerian word for mountain seems to be HUR.SAG,
              there are lots of sumerian words for mountain
              [psd.museum.upenn.edu]
              why don't you try using this resource to find them instead of assuming
              you know what happens when you assume don't you Doug

              you will notice that one of the words for mountain is IS
              [psd.museum.upenn.edu]

              And Sumerian is a strictly verb-final language. Which is why a 'word' with the verb at the beginning makes no sense and can't be found in any real texts.
              it comes down to the text it is found in
              Atal if following on the end of a sentence would be found before AN and IS
              here is a famous line from the descent of inanna
              inana an mu-un-sub ki mu-un-sub kur-ra ba-e-a-ed3
              Inana abandoned heaven, abandoned earth, and descended to the underworld.
              as you can see the verbs are not all at the end of the sentence
              it depends on the placing of the genitatives ant the determinatives
              so you are talking bollox

              A.TAL.AN.IS

              how would you say it in english
              duh "

              Among other things I've said in my reply is that his word ATAL (now A.TAL I see) is 2 words, one of which, 'tal', seems to mean jug.

              Doug
            • Robert M Whiting
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
                Doug, you are simply wasting your time with this person. He does not know
                anything about Sumerian for if he did he would realize that no one who
                knows anything about Sumerian would countenance his suggestion for a
                moment. He also show that he has no idea what SOV word order means. You
                will not convince him that his idea is nonsense because he does not have
                the knowledge base to be able to realize this. The fact that "he won't
                give up" is simply characteristic of those who have no basis for
                evaluating the shortcomings of their arguments.

                Bob Whiting
                whiting@...

                On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Doug Weller wrote:

                > Thanks. He won't give up, his latest post (in reply to mine, where one
                > of the things I said, and I still think I am right, is that Sumerian is
                > verb final, but he gives an example where it isn't) is here:
                >
                > ""THere is no word ATAL"
                >
                > so why does this say there is
                > [psd.museum.upenn.edu]
                >
                > And the Sumerian word for mountain seems to be HUR.SAG,
                > there are lots of sumerian words for mountain
                > [psd.museum.upenn.edu]
                > why don't you try using this resource to find them instead of assuming
                > you know what happens when you assume don't you Doug
                >
                > you will notice that one of the words for mountain is IS
                > [psd.museum.upenn.edu]
                >
                > And Sumerian is a strictly verb-final language. Which is why a 'word'
                > with the verb at the beginning makes no sense and can't be found in any
                > real texts. it comes down to the text it is found in Atal if following
                > on the end of a sentence would be found before AN and IS here is a
                > famous line from the descent of inanna
                > inana an mu-un-sub ki mu-un-sub kur-ra ba-e-a-ed3
                > Inana abandoned heaven, abandoned earth, and descended to the
                > underworld.
                > as you can see the verbs are not all at the end of the sentence
                > it depends on the placing of the genitatives ant the determinatives
                > so you are talking bollox
                >
                > A.TAL.AN.IS
                >
                > how would you say it in english
                > duh "
                >
                > Among other things I've said in my reply is that his word ATAL (now
                > A.TAL I see) is 2 words, one of which, 'tal', seems to mean jug.
                >
                > Doug
              • Marc Cooper
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
                  Doug,

                  There are two issues here. The first concerns the use of Sumerian in
                  the etymology, and the second concerns methodology.

                  Your correspondent claims that a2-tal an i$ is the etymology of
                  Atlantis. Here are problems I can see:

                  The PSD guesses that atal, a rare word, may mean engulf in Sumerian
                  based on the idea that it is an Akkadian loan word. In effect, the
                  meaning of the word is based on a reasonable guess, but it's just a
                  guess. The use of the word in the Atlantis etymology is therefore
                  weakened.

                  an-i$i doesn't mean heavenly mountain. In Sumerian, adjectives come
                  after the noun they modify.

                  Sumerian is not absolutely verb final, but objects regularly precede
                  verbs.

                  Finally, no such phrase exists in any Sumerian document, nor is
                  there referernce to an Atlantean type myth in the Sumerian literary
                  corpus.

                  Taken together, this is an extremely weak etymology.

                  But there is also a methodological issue. There is no special reason
                  to choose Sumerian words for an etymology. Even if I believed that
                  Plato offers a real tradition rather than a fictional illustration,
                  since he claims that Solon got the story from the Egyptians,
                  wouldn't Egyptian be the right place to look for an etymology? There
                  has to be some reason for the choice of underlying language. I take
                  it that the author found the PSD online and picked out some words
                  which strung together sound sort of like like Atlantis, forgetting
                  for the moment that the t isn't there and the s is an $. A good
                  etymology is a history of the word. How did Plato get Atlantis from
                  the Sumerians when the name doesn't occur in Akkadian or Egyptian so
                  that it can loaned to the Greeks?

                  Finally, any one can play this game. For instance, consider the
                  Sumerian phrase I$i-ra il which I just made up. Look familiar: it
                  means "Brought forth to the Mountain." You see if one has access to
                  many languages, and there are nearly infinite ways to describe
                  something, at least several of languages are likely to provide an
                  etymon. This is a matter of chance which cannot be taken seriously.
                  In the end, because it is very difficult to prove an etymology,
                  etymologies have to be reasonable to others in the field. This one
                  isn't.

                  Marc Cooper