Nisrok

  • K L Noll
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2006
      Friends,
      I am looking at 2 Kings 19:37, where a god named Nisrok is mentioned. Two questions: Are there recent publications dealing with this DN that I ought to consult? Does anyone on the list have any fresh suggestions about this DN?

      K. L. Noll
      Religion Department
      Brandon University
      270- 18th Street
      Brandon, Manitoba
      R7A 6A9 Canada
      (204) 727-9701

    • Tory Thorpe
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2006
        This is evidently an early mispelling of Nusku (but
        not as bad as that appearing in the LXX), the Assyrian
        fire-god. Assurbanipal mentions the site of
        Sennacherib's murder (Streck Asb. 38 iv 70-71) in
        front of the colossal statues flanking the entrance to
        the god's temple.

        Tory Thorpe