August message statistics

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 2 6:32 AM
      According to the logs, August generated the following message traffic
      (July numbers in parentheses):

      Total submissions to list
      389 (150)

      Bounced by Yahoo
      13 (8)

      Rejected
      27 (15)

      Posted to list
      361 (127)

      Number of individuals posting
      63 (49)

      Top posters (double figures)

      Peter T. Daniels 36 (19)
      Andrew Fincke 27 (0)
      Niels Peter Lemche 24 (3)
      Stephen Goranson 21 (4)
      George F. Somsel 20 (0)
      Larry Wilson 17 (0)
      David Q. Hall 16 (1)
      Robert Whiting 15 (7)
      Jim West 14 (8)
      Eliot Braun 13 (4)
      Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (2)
      David Stacey 10 (0)

      As of the end of August, there are 698 members (695 at the end of July)
      of which 59 are unmoderated.

      Message traffic is starting to pick up after the summer doldrums.
      This is the highest level of list participation since last April.
      Message traffic should continue to increase in September as the new
      academic year gets into full swing.

      Bob Whiting
      for the moderators
    • Robert M Whiting
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 2, 2006
        According to the logs, September generated the following message traffic
        (August numbers in parentheses):

        Total submissions to list
        375 (389)

        Bounced by Yahoo
        11 (13)

        Rejected
        18 (27)

        Posted to list
        357 (361)

        Number of individuals posting
        68 (63)

        Top posters (double figures)

        Peter T. Daniels 52 (36)
        Charles E. Jones 31 (6)
        Rolf Furuli 26 (0)
        Donald R. Vance 22 (3)
        Andrés Piquer Otero 21 (1)
        Robert Whiting 20 (15)
        Ariel L. Szczupak 19 (9)
        Russell Gmirkin 14 (1)
        Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (12)
        Niels Peter Lemche 12 (24)
        Stefan Schorch 11 (0)

        As of the end of September, there are 707 members (698 at the end of
        August) of which 57 are unmoderated.

        Message traffic for September was remarkably similar to August with the
        vast majority of postings coming in the last week of the month. September
        also showed the smallest percentage of messages rejected by the moderators
        since the inception of the list last February.

        Bob Whiting
        for the moderators
      • Ariel L. Szczupak
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 3, 2006
          At 08:17 03/10/2006, Robert M Whiting wrote:
          >According to the logs, September generated the following message traffic
          >(August numbers in parentheses):
          [...]
          >Top posters (double figures)
          [...]
          > Ariel L. Szczupak 19 (9)

          Something's not quite right - I posted two messages in September (max
          is four if I count also one from Aug 31st and one from Oct 1st). The
          figure for August, nine, is correct.

          Ariel.

          ---
          Ariel L. Szczupak
          AMIS-JLM (Ricercar Ltd.)
          POB 4707, Jerusalem, Israel 91401
          Phone: +972-2-5619660 Fax: +972-2-5634203
          ane.als@...
        • Robert M Whiting
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 3, 2006
            On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Ariel L. Szczupak wrote:

            > At 08:17 03/10/2006, Robert M Whiting wrote:
            > >According to the logs, September generated the following message traffic
            > >(August numbers in parentheses):
            > [...]
            > >Top posters (double figures)
            > [...]
            > > Ariel L. Szczupak 19 (9)
            >
            > Something's not quite right - I posted two messages in September (max
            > is four if I count also one from Aug 31st and one from Oct 1st). The
            > figure for August, nine, is correct.

            Yes, something is definitely not right. The problem is in Yahoo's logs.

            This is what it shows for September 30 for your posts:

            Sep 29, 2006 3:01 pm ane.als@... Accepted message: "[OT] Making/pub"
            Sep 30, 2006 7:20 am ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"
            Sep 30, 2006 7:44 am ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"
            Sep 30, 2006 8:01 am ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"
            Sep 30, 2006 8:26 am ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"
            Sep 30, 2006 8:53 am ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"
            Sep 30, 2006 9:28 am ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"
            Sep 30, 2006 10:05 am ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/pub"
            Sep 30, 2006 10:48 am ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/pub"
            Sep 30, 2006 11:33 am ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/pub"
            Sep 30, 2006 12:18 pm ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/pub"
            Sep 30, 2006 1:05 pm ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"
            Sep 30, 2006 1:53 pm ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"
            Sep 30, 2006 2:47 pm ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"
            Sep 30, 2006 3:44 pm ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"
            Sep 30, 2006 4:44 pm ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"
            Sep 30, 2006 5:48 pm ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"
            Sep 30, 2006 6:55 pm ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"
            Sep 30, 2006 8:12 pm ane.als@... Accepted message: "Re: Making/publ"

            It is clear that the log has gone berserk and credited you with 17
            additional posts. A cursory examination suggests that other posters on
            Saturday had their posts similarly inflated. Since I have set up my
            statistical records to be semi-automated, I will have to audit the logs
            against the actual postings to determine the correct number of posts for
            the month. Fortunately it it seems that this temporary insanity only
            affects the last day of the month. In the meantime, neither the message
            totals nor the individual posting records should be considered correct.

            Bob Whiting
            whiting@...
          • Robert M Whiting
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 3, 2006
              Despite the logs, September generated the following message traffic
              (August numbers in parentheses) [and thanks to Ariel for pointing out the
              discrepancies]:

              Total submissions to list
              280 (389)

              Bounced by Yahoo
              11 (13)

              Rejected
              18 (27)

              Posted to list
              357 (361)

              Number of individuals posting
              68 (63)

              Top posters (double figures)

              Peter T. Daniels 35 (36)
              Robert Whiting 20 (15)
              Charles E. Jones 16 (6)
              Russell Gmirkin 14 (1)
              Rolf Furuli 12 (0)
              Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (12)
              Niels Peter Lemche 12 (24)
              Stefan Schorch 11 (0)

              As of the end of September, there are 707 members (698 at the end of
              August) of which 57 are unmoderated.

              The original message traffic statistics for September were skewed by the
              fact that Yahoo's message logging software ran amok on September 30 and
              logged 95 spurious messages. Essentially, anyone who posted that day was
              credited with 15-20 additional posts. The revised statistics show a
              downturn from August, but still higher traffic than any other time during
              the summer. September still shows the smallest percentage of messages
              rejected by the moderators since the inception of the list last February,
              but the difference is not as spectacular as when the spurious postings
              are included in the totals.

              Bob Whiting
              for the moderators
            • Robert M Whiting
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 1, 2006
                According to the logs, November generated the following message traffic
                (October numbers in parentheses):

                Total submissions to list
                205 (179)

                Bounced by Yahoo
                53 (12)

                Rejected
                11 (9)

                Posted to list
                141 (158)

                Number of individuals posting
                63 (61)

                Top posters (double figures)

                Charles E. Jones 12 (8)
                Jim West 12 (8)
                [There were no posters in double figures in October.]

                As of the end of November, there are 737 members (701 at the end of
                October) of which 57 are unmoderated.

                The most striking thing about the November message traffic is the upsurge
                in the number of messages bounced by Yahoo. Bounced messages in November
                exceeded the total of bounced messages for the preceeding six months.
                Apparently the ANE-2 group's address has made its way on to lists that are
                traded by profession spammers since most of the bounced messages were of
                this type as opposed to previous months when bounced messages were
                typically list members who forgot and tried to post from the wrong
                address.

                In addition to the bounced messages, a number of the rejected messages
                were spam sent by list members who joined the list solely for the purpose
                of spamming it. These people have been removed from the list and banned.

                Bob Whiting
                for the moderators
              • Brian Yare
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 1, 2006
                  << The most striking thing about the November message traffic is the upsurge
                  in the number of messages bounced by Yahoo. Bounced messages in November
                  exceeded the total of bounced messages for the preceeding six months.
                  Apparently the ANE-2 group's address has made its way on to lists that are
                  traded by profession spammers since most of the bounced messages were of
                  this type as opposed to previous months when bounced messages were
                  typically list members who forgot and tried to post from the wrong
                  address. >>

                  My ISP stopped allowing any YahooGroups traffic for days on end. Their
                  excuse was

                  "Yahoo! Groups
                  Due to security concerns with the way Yahoo! Groups send their e-mails,
                  Freeola does not currently support the receiving of this service. "

                  I don't know how many other ISPs feel the same way.

                  At present FreeOla are allowing mail from YahooGroups.

                  Brian Yare
                  Yare Egyptology
                  http://www.yare.org/egypt
                • Robert M Whiting
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 1, 2007
                    According to the logs, December generated the following message traffic
                    (November numbers in parentheses):

                    Total submissions to list
                    380 (205)

                    Bounced by Yahoo
                    28 (53)

                    Rejected
                    19 (11)

                    Posted to list
                    333 (141)

                    Number of individuals posting
                    82 (63)

                    Top posters (double figures)

                    Charles E. Jones 12 (8)
                    Jim West 12 (8)

                    Niels Peter Lemche 36 (0)
                    Andrew Fincke 22 (3)
                    George F. Somsel 22 (1)
                    Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 22 (1)
                    Peter T. Daniels 21 (5)
                    Robert Whiting 12 (4)
                    Lisbeth S. Fried 11 (6)
                    Jim West 10 (12)
                    Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (0)

                    As of the end of December, there are 733 members (737 at the end of
                    November) of which 57 are unmoderated.

                    Message traffic was brisker this month than in the past two months. It
                    was particularly lively in the second half of the month, when academics
                    presumably had a break from classes and exams.

                    Bob Whiting
                    for the moderators
                  • Robert Whiting
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 3, 2007
                      I had meant to reply to the message below at the time, but other, more
                      pressing matters intervened and I did not.

                      However, over the past weekend (yearend?) an upsurge in the number of
                      bouncing members makes a reply necessary. During the past few days
                      approximately 25 members have had their accounts put in "bouncing"
                      status. This means that their ISP or email service provider has
                      rejected some message from a Yahoo group and therefore the member can
                      neither receive postings sent by email nor post messages to the group.
                      Most of the members so affected have hotmail.com, msn.com, or gsx.de
                      addresses.

                      The reason for this is that Yahoos uses a number of mail servers with
                      different IP addresses to send out group traffic. Some of these IP
                      addresses have been included in blacklists of IP addresses associated
                      with spam and used by many ISPs to block certain IP addresses. When
                      an ANE-2 (or another Yahoo group to which the member may also happen
                      to belong) message gets sent from one of these servers the message is
                      bounced by the ISP and the addressee's account is put in bouncing status.

                      Yahoo groups sends an information message when an account is put in
                      bouncing status, explaining how to reactivate the account, but it is
                      possible that this message is blocked by the ISP as well and the
                      member may be unaware of his or her bouncing status.

                      Members can clear their bouncing status and reactivate their accounts
                      on their own by clicking on the "My Groups" link on the ANE-2 home
                      page <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/> and then clicking on the
                      "My Email Preferences" link on the My Groups page. On the resulting
                      page is a heading called "Bounce History" with links to the bounce
                      record of each email address that that member uses with Yahoo groups.
                      From this page it is possible for members to send a reactivation
                      request to themselves. Once the reactivation request is answered, the
                      account will be reactived.

                      The moderators try to keep track of members in bouncing status and
                      send reactivation requests, but list moderators are only allowed to
                      send an reactivation request to each account once every 24 hours.
                      Account owners can send themselves as many reactivation requests as
                      they want through the "My Groups" page. As with many things, it is
                      faster if you do it yourself.

                      Reactivation is, of course, only good until the next time the member's
                      ISP bounces a message from Yahoo groups. Then you have to start all
                      over again. The only solution to this is to use an email address that
                      does not block any IP addresses or turn off email delivery and read
                      the postings from the group's web page. The latter, however, sort of
                      defeats the purpose of a discussion group where most of the pleasure
                      comes from having the discussion delivered to you rather than having
                      to go out and track it down and then monitor it continuously in order
                      to participate.

                      Bob Whiting
                      for the moderators

                      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Yare" <brian@...> wrote:

                      > << The most striking thing about the November message traffic is the
                      upsurge
                      > in the number of messages bounced by Yahoo. Bounced messages in
                      November
                      > exceeded the total of bounced messages for the preceeding six months.
                      > Apparently the ANE-2 group's address has made its way on to lists
                      that are
                      > traded by profession spammers since most of the bounced messages were of
                      > this type as opposed to previous months when bounced messages were
                      > typically list members who forgot and tried to post from the wrong
                      > address. >>
                      >
                      > My ISP stopped allowing any YahooGroups traffic for days on end. Their
                      > excuse was
                      >
                      > "Yahoo! Groups
                      > Due to security concerns with the way Yahoo! Groups send their e-mails,
                      > Freeola does not currently support the receiving of this service. "
                      >
                      > I don't know how many other ISPs feel the same way.
                      >
                      > At present FreeOla are allowing mail from YahooGroups.
                      >

                      > Brian Yare
                      > Yare Egyptology
                      > http://www.yare.org/egypt

                    • Robert M Whiting
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
                        According to the logs (as corrected), January generated the following
                        message traffic (December numbers in parentheses):

                        Total submissions to list
                        544 (380)

                        Bounced by Yahoo
                        33 (28)

                        Rejected
                        27 (19)

                        Posted to list
                        484 (333)

                        Number of individuals posting
                        98 (82)

                        Top posters (double figures)

                        Peter T. Daniels 40 (21)
                        Niels Peter Lemche 37 (36)
                        Andrew Fincke 35 (22)
                        George F. Somsel 26 (22)
                        Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 20 (22)
                        Yitzhak Sapir 16 (4)
                        Russell Gmirkin 15 (4)
                        Rolf Furuli 15 (0)
                        Ariel L. Szczupak 14 (10)
                        Charles E. Jones 13 (5)
                        Robert Whiting 13 (12)
                        Stephen Goranson 12 (5)
                        Greg Doudna 12 (2)
                        Lisbeth S. Fried 11 (11)
                        Eliot Braun 10 (2)

                        As of the end of January, there are 752 members (733 at the end of
                        December) of which 57 are unmoderated.

                        Message traffic this month was the highest since March of 2006.

                        Bob Whiting
                        for the moderators
                      • Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
                          What is the earliest written grammar of a language of which we have a
                          copy? I know we have the Akkadian word lists, but did the ancients
                          write grammars, that is, written systematizations of the phonetics,
                          morphology, and syntax of ancient languages? I know that occasionally
                          we have a comment on how a Greek form works in an ancient Greek text,
                          but do we have full length treatments? Are the Arabs the first to
                          write works that we would label as a grammar?

                          Has anyone written a history of the genre "grammar"?

                          Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
                          Professor of Biblical Languages and Literature
                          Oral Roberts University
                          dvance@...
                          donaldrvance@...
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
                            The most accessible account of ancient Sumerian, Akkadian, and Egyptian grammatical texts is found in Giulio Lepschy's History of Linguistics, vol. 1. The respective authors are Miguel Civil, Erica Reiner, and Janet Johnson. The volume also has chapters on the Hebrew, Arabic, Indian, and Chinese (but not the Syriac) traditions.

                            Vol. 2 is entirely devoted to P. H. Matthews on the Greek and Latin traditions; vol. 3 covers Medieval and Renaissance grammars, and vol. 4 the Romantic tradition. I haven't yet seen vol. 5 (20th century) in English, and there is a 6th vol. on Italian that wasn't planned to be translated.

                            What is the earliest written grammar of a language of which we have a
                            copy? I know we have the Akkadian word lists, but did the ancients
                            write grammars, that is, written systematizations of the phonetics,
                            morphology, and syntax of ancient languages? I know that occasionally
                            we have a comment on how a Greek form works in an ancient Greek text,
                            but do we have full length treatments? Are the Arabs the first to
                            write works that we would label as a grammar?

                            Has anyone written a history of the genre "grammar"?

                            Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
                            Professor of Biblical Languages and Literature
                            Oral Roberts University
                            dvance@...
                            donaldrvance@ mac.com

                          • Robert M Whiting
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
                              See also Jeremy Black, Sumerian Grammar in Babylonian Theory (1984).

                              The so-called Old Babylonian grammatical texts are primarly elucidations
                              of Sumerian grammar, particularly verbal morphology, in terms of Akkadian
                              equivalents.

                              Bob Whiting
                              whiting@...

                              On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Peter T. Daniels wrote:

                              > The most accessible account of ancient Sumerian, Akkadian, and Egyptian
                              > grammatical texts is found in Giulio Lepschy's History of Linguistics,
                              > vol. 1. The respective authors are Miguel Civil, Erica Reiner, and Janet
                              > Johnson. The volume also has chapters on the Hebrew, Arabic, Indian, and
                              > Chinese (but not the Syriac) traditions.
                              >
                              > Vol. 2 is entirely devoted to P. H. Matthews on the Greek and Latin
                              > traditions; vol. 3 covers Medieval and Renaissance grammars, and vol. 4
                              > the Romantic tradition. I haven't yet seen vol. 5 (20th century) in
                              > English, and there is a 6th vol. on Italian that wasn't planned to be
                              > translated.
                              > --
                              > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

                            • Donald R. Vance, Ph.D.
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 3, 2007
                                Thank you to Peter and Bob,
                                This is exactly what I was looking for.

                                On Feb 2, 2007, at 5:02 PM, Robert M Whiting wrote:

                                > See also Jeremy Black, Sumerian Grammar in Babylonian Theory (1984).
                                >
                                > The so-called Old Babylonian grammatical texts are primarly
                                > elucidations
                                > of Sumerian grammar, particularly verbal morphology, in terms of
                                > Akkadian
                                > equivalents.
                                >
                                > Bob Whiting
                                > whiting@...
                                >
                                > On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
                                >
                                > > The most accessible account of ancient Sumerian, Akkadian, and
                                > Egyptian
                                > > grammatical texts is found in Giulio Lepschy's History of
                                > Linguistics,
                                > > vol. 1. The respective authors are Miguel Civil, Erica Reiner,
                                > and Janet
                                > > Johnson. The volume also has chapters on the Hebrew, Arabic,
                                > Indian, and
                                > > Chinese (but not the Syriac) traditions.
                                > >
                                > > Vol. 2 is entirely devoted to P. H. Matthews on the Greek and Latin
                                > > traditions; vol. 3 covers Medieval and Renaissance grammars, and
                                > vol. 4
                                > > the Romantic tradition. I haven't yet seen vol. 5 (20th century) in
                                > > English, and there is a 6th vol. on Italian that wasn't planned
                                > to be
                                > > translated.
                                > > --
                                > > Peter T. Daniels grammatim@...

                              • Robert M Whiting
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 2, 2007
                                  According to the logs, February generated the following
                                  message traffic (January numbers in parentheses):

                                  Total submissions to list
                                  428 (544)

                                  Bounced by Yahoo
                                  28 (33)

                                  Rejected
                                  48 (27)

                                  Posted to list
                                  352 (484)

                                  Number of individuals posting
                                  82 (98)

                                  Top posters (double figures)

                                  Niels Peter Lemche 28 (37)
                                  Ariel L. Szczupak 24 (14)
                                  Eliot Braun 20 (10)
                                  Andrew Fincke 20 (35)
                                  Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 18 (20)
                                  George F. Somsel 16 (26)
                                  Charles E. Jones 14 (13)
                                  Jim West 10 (8)
                                  Yitzhak Sapir 10 (16)

                                  As of the end of February, there are 763 members (752 at the end of
                                  January) of which 56 are unmoderated.

                                  Message traffic this month was lower than in January, but the month was
                                  three days shorter (there were also a significantly higher percentage of
                                  rejected posts than in the past). The one-year anniversary of the ANE-2
                                  list passed on February 15 without much fanfare. This is in keeping with
                                  the list's format as a fact- and evidence-based forum for scholarly
                                  discussion.

                                  I have noticed in the logs that a number of members have had messages
                                  bounced by Yahoo when they tried to post from an address other than the
                                  one at which they are registered. I have also noticed that some members
                                  change their address when they want to post. Neither of these is
                                  necessary since it is possible to set your account so that you can post
                                  from more than one email address. To do this, from the ANE-2 group's home
                                  page <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/>, click on the link "My Groups"
                                  near the top at the far right side of the page. This will take you to a
                                  page that lists the Yahoo groups to which you belong. Near the top on the
                                  right side of this page you will see a link "My Email Preferences". This
                                  link will take you to a page that lists all the email addresses that are
                                  associated with your Yahoo profile. The last column in this list is
                                  headed "Options". Click on the "Edit" link in the row that contains the
                                  email address with which you are subscribed to the ANE-2 list. This will
                                  take you to a page where you can enter "Alternate Posting Addresses" for
                                  the email address with which you are subscribed. After entering the
                                  alternate email address(es), do not forget to click "Save Changes" before
                                  navigating away from the page. If your alternate address(es) are not
                                  already known to Yahoo, a message will be sent to the address(es) you
                                  enter asking you to verify them. Once you have done this, you should be
                                  able to post to the list from any email address that you have entered on
                                  this page.

                                  Bob Whiting
                                  for the moderators
                                • Robert M Whiting
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 1, 2007
                                    According to the logs, March generated the following
                                    message traffic (February numbers in parentheses):

                                    Total submissions to list
                                    563 (428)

                                    Bounced by Yahoo
                                    20 (28)

                                    Rejected
                                    58 (48)

                                    Posted to list
                                    485 (352)

                                    Number of individuals posting
                                    94 (82)

                                    Top posters (double figures)

                                    James D. Tabor 68 (0)
                                    Joe Zias 40 (9)
                                    Ariel L. Szczupak 29 (24)
                                    Doug Weller 24 (4)
                                    Yitzhak Sapir 22 (10)
                                    Jim West 19 (10)
                                    Jeffrey B. Gibson 18 (9)
                                    Eliot Braun 17 (20)
                                    Rene J. Salm 14 (0)
                                    Stephen Goranson 11 (4)
                                    Peter T. Daniels 11 (9)
                                    David Q. Hall 11 (0)
                                    Greg Doudna 10 (0)

                                    As of the end of March, there are 780 members (763 at the end of
                                    February) of which 59 are unmoderated.

                                    Message traffic this month was higher than in February and nearly
                                    identical to that of January. There were, however, a significantly higher
                                    percentage of rejected posts than in January. We attribute this to the
                                    nature of the main discussion of the month, which seems to have called
                                    forth a number of emotional responses to various positions. We have
                                    strived to maintain the list as a fact- and evidence-based forum for
                                    scholarly discussion and we trust that those who use the forum understand
                                    and accept this.

                                    Bob Whiting
                                    for the moderators
                                  • Robert M Whiting
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 1, 2007
                                      According to the logs, April generated the following
                                      message traffic (March numbers in parentheses):

                                      Total submissions to list
                                      377 (563)

                                      Bounced by Yahoo
                                      27 (20)

                                      Rejected
                                      38 (58)

                                      Posted to list
                                      312 (485)

                                      Number of individuals posting
                                      72 (94)

                                      Top posters (double figures)

                                      Peter T. Daniels 35 (11)
                                      Niels Peter Lemche 21 (3)
                                      Charles E. Jones 14 (7)
                                      Jim West 13 (19)
                                      Ariel L. Szczupak 13 (29)
                                      Dierk van den Berg 12 (1)
                                      Robert Whiting 12 (4)
                                      Yitzhak Sapir 12 (22)
                                      Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (2)
                                      George F. Somsel 11 (8)

                                      As of the end of April, there are 795 members (780 at the end of
                                      March) of which 59 are unmoderated.

                                      Message traffic this month was lower than in March and in fact than any
                                      other month so far this year. In checking the logs, I note that, for the
                                      second year running, the birthday of Benno Landsberger on April 21 has
                                      gone unremarked.

                                      Bob Whiting
                                      for the moderators
                                    • victor
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 1, 2007
                                        Dear ANE-ers,

                                        Robert remarks that for the second year running Benno Landsberger's birthday
                                        on 21 April went unnoticed. I deeply apologize for my negligence. I had been
                                        accustomed for years to announce this joyous occasion, but felt like Linus
                                        and the Great Pumpkin or Beethoven's birthday and that the humor was running
                                        a bit thin. Now that I see it has been missed I can only hope that ina recut
                                        ilani I will have the great privilege of resuming the custom for SAR years.

                                        Victor Hurowitz

                                        BGU Beer Sheva

                                        _____

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
                                          According to the logs, May generated the following
                                          message traffic (April numbers in parentheses):

                                          Total submissions to list
                                          402 (377)

                                          Bounced by Yahoo
                                          36 (27)

                                          Rejected
                                          33 (38)

                                          Posted to list
                                          333 (312)

                                          Number of individuals posting
                                          92 (72)

                                          Top posters (double figures)

                                          Jim West 30 (13)
                                          Niels Peter Lemche 22 (21)
                                          Lisbeth S. Fried 19 (1)
                                          Joe Zias 12 (8)
                                          Yitzhak Sapir 12 (12)
                                          Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 12 (12)
                                          Dierk van den Berg 11 (12)
                                          Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (13)

                                          As of the end of May, there are 811 members (795 at the end of
                                          April) of which 58 are unmoderated.

                                          Message traffic this month was higher than in April leaving April as the
                                          slowest traffic month so far this year. Expect traffic to drop off over
                                          the summer as many people are away from their computers.

                                          Bob Whiting
                                          for the moderators
                                        • Jim West
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 2, 2007
                                            What do I win????? This is indeed a once in a lifetime accomplishment-
                                            being on a list with such luminaries.... and on the top of it!

                                            --
                                            Jim West, ThD

                                          • Trudy Kawami
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 3, 2007
                                              Fame & glory (& tired fingers)
                                              Trudy Kawami

                                              ________________________________

                                              --
                                              Jim West, ThD

                                              http://drjewest.googlepages.com/ <http://drjewest.googlepages.com/> -- Biblical Studies Resources
                                              http://drjimwest.wordpress.com <http://drjimwest.wordpress.com/> -- Weblog

                                            • Robert M Whiting
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 2, 2007
                                                According to the logs, June generated the following
                                                message traffic (May numbers in parentheses):

                                                Total submissions to list
                                                274 (402)

                                                Bounced by Yahoo
                                                44 (36)

                                                Rejected
                                                33 (33)

                                                Posted to list
                                                197 (333)

                                                Number of individuals posting
                                                74 (92)

                                                Top posters (double figures)

                                                Charles E. Jones 17 (7)
                                                Jim West 14 (30)
                                                Ariel L. Szczupak 11 (10)

                                                As of the end of June, there are 818 members (811 at the end of
                                                May) of which 59 are unmoderated.

                                                Message traffic this month was the slowest of the year so far, which is to
                                                be expected as many people (in the northern hemisphere) head for summer
                                                vacations and spend less time at their computers

                                                On the other hand, the number of messages bounced by Yahoo is the highest
                                                of the year. Most of these are from spammers and others who are not list
                                                members, but I also note that a number of members had messages bounced
                                                when they tried to post from an address other than the one that they are
                                                registered under.

                                                I have mentioned this before, but it is possible to set your account so
[...]

                                                One final note: If you intend to be away from your computer for an
                                                extended period over the summer and you don't want your mailbox to fill up
                                                with postings from the list, it is not necessary to leave the list in
                                                order to prevent this. You can simply turn off email delivery of postings
                                                without leaving the list. Just go to the group's home page,
                                                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/>, and click on the "Edit Membership"
                                                link near the top of the page (near the center beneath the advertising
                                                banner). This will take you to a page where you can modify your account's
                                                behavior. Under Step 2. Message Delivery select "Web Only". This will
                                                turn off email delivery of either individual messages or the daily digest.
                                                Don't forget to click on "Save Changes" before navigating away from the
                                                page.

                                                Bob Whiting
                                                for the moderators
                                              • Robert M Whiting
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Aug 1, 2007
                                                  According to the logs, July generated the following
                                                  message traffic (June numbers in parentheses):

                                                  Total submissions to list
                                                  447 (274)

                                                  Bounced by Yahoo
                                                  56 (44)

                                                  Rejected
                                                  34 (33)

                                                  Posted to list
                                                  357 (197)

                                                  Number of individuals posting
                                                  78 (74)

                                                  Top posters (double figures)

                                                  Niels Peter Lemche 46 (7)
                                                  Jim West 19 (14)
                                                  David Q. Hall 18 (5)
                                                  Peter T. Daniels 16 (7)
                                                  Charles E. Jones 15 (17)
                                                  Dierk van den Berg 15 (0)
                                                  Tory Thorpe 13 (2)
                                                  Kevin P. Edgecomb 10 (0)
                                                  Frank Polak 10 (1)
                                                  Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 10 (1)

                                                  As of the end of July, there are 818 members (818 at the end of
                                                  June) of which 63 are unmoderated.

                                                  Message traffic this month was surprisingly brisk considering the time of
                                                  year. In fact, even without considering the time of year it was a healthy
                                                  month in terms of postings, having the third highest of the year to date.

                                                  On the other hand, the number of messages bounced by Yahoo sets another
                                                  monthly high mark for the year. Most of these are from spammers and
                                                  it is clear that the list address has made its way onto an increasing
                                                  number of the address lists that spammers use.

                                                  While the membership appears to have been static, this is an instance
                                                  where Occam's Razor will lead you astray. Actually, 11 new members joined
                                                  the list but this was exactly balanced by the 11 members who left or were
                                                  removed. Some who left were old stalwarts, and I assume that they left
                                                  the list because they were expecting to be away from their email for an
                                                  extended period. I have mentioned before that it is not necessary to
                                                  leave the list in these circumstances. In case there may be others who
                                                  will face the same situation this month, I will repeat the instructions
                                                  given previously:

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Sep 1 1:34 PM
                                                    According to the logs, August generated the following
                                                    message traffic (July numbers in parentheses):

                                                    Total submissions to list
                                                    205 (447)

                                                    Bounced by Yahoo
                                                    42 (56)

                                                    Rejected
                                                    9 (34)

                                                    Posted to list
                                                    154 (357)

                                                    Number of individuals posting
                                                    62 (78)

                                                    Top posters (double figures)

                                                    Jim West 18 (19)

                                                    As of the end of August, there are 823 members (818 at the end of
                                                    July) of which 64 are unmoderated.

                                                    The slump in message traffic expected in July occured in August instead.
                                                    August registered the lowest list participation so far this year.

                                                    On the other hand, the spam continued unabated as the number of messages
                                                    bounced by Yahoo was the third highest of the year. Only one of these
                                                    messages seems to have been from a list member who tried to post from the
                                                    wrong address.

                                                    Bob Whiting
                                                    for the moderators
                                                  • Robert M Whiting
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                                      According to the logs, September generated the following
                                                      message traffic (August numbers in parentheses):

                                                      Total submissions to list
                                                      342 (205)

                                                      Bounced by Yahoo
                                                      37 (42)

                                                      Rejected
                                                      22 (9)

                                                      Posted to list
                                                      283 (154)

                                                      Number of individuals posting
                                                      77 (62)

                                                      Top posters (double figures)

                                                      Niels Peter Lemche 16 (3)
                                                      Jim West 15 (18)
                                                      Peter T. Daniels 15 (5)
                                                      Victor Avigdor Hurowitz 14 (5)
                                                      Ariel L. Szczupak 10 (5)

                                                      As of the end of September, there are 834 members (823 at the end of
                                                      August) of which 65 are unmoderated.

                                                      Message traffic picked from August, which was the slowest month of the
                                                      year. This is expected as people return to their computers at the end of
                                                      the summer and the new academic year begins.

                                                      Bob Whiting
                                                      for the moderators
                                                    • Christopher Conlan
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                                        Bob,

                                                        Is there a list of the members who are unmoderated?

                                                        Chris Conlan

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Oct 2, 2007
                                                          On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Christopher Conlan wrote:

                                                          > Bob,
                                                          >
                                                          > Is there a list of the members who are unmoderated?

                                                          Yes, but it is for the private use of the moderators. However, if you
                                                          have the patience you could probably make one for yourself. Each message
                                                          approved by a moderator has a header added indicating who approved it and
                                                          when. For example, the message you just posted and that I am replying to
                                                          has the header:

                                                          21:01:52 -0000

                                                          Any message that doesn't have this header was posted by an unmoderated
                                                          listmember. All you have to do is check the headers of the messages
                                                          posted to the list and eventually you will find most of the unmoderated
                                                          members. To give you a head start, all the moderators are unmoderated.
                                                          A word of warning, however: some unmoderated members have yet to post to
                                                          the list so you are unlikely to find them all.

                                                          Bob Whiting
                                                          whiting@...