Assyriologists: Correction of 763 BCE eponym eclipse?

  • Brian Roberts
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
      I am trying to determine whether or not there has been a correction of
      an eponym eclipse in the Assyrian records from 763 to 709 BCE?

      best salaams,

      R. Brian Roberts
      Amateur Researcher in Biblical Archaeology
    • Robert M Whiting
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
        On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Brian Roberts wrote:

        > I am trying to determine whether or not there has been a correction of
        > an eponym eclipse in the Assyrian records from 763 to 709 BCE?

        No.

        Bob Whiting
        whiting@...
      • Brian Roberts
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
          Robert M Whiting <whiting@...> wrote: On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Brian Roberts wrote:

          > I am trying to determine whether or not there has been a correction of
          > an eponym eclipse in the Assyrian records from 763 to 709 BCE?

          No.

          Bob Whiting
          whiting@...

          Thanks, Bob. What I had read was that the series of eclipses of which this is a part occured every 54 years and 1 month apart. The writer suggested that the 763 BCE dating for Simanu is abberant, not fitting in with the rest of the prior dates. He suggests July 9, 709 for the correction. (Lars Wilson, email misha_linword@...) Yes, I have emailed him. No reply as of yet. That's why I'm posting here. I knew someone here would know the answer.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
            On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Brian Roberts wrote:

            > Robert M Whiting <whiting@...> wrote:
            >
            > On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Brian Roberts wrote:
            >
            > > I am trying to determine whether or not there has been a correction of
            > > an eponym eclipse in the Assyrian records from 763 to 709 BCE?
            >
            > No.
            >
            > Bob Whiting
            > whiting@...
            >
            > Thanks, Bob. What I had read was that the series of eclipses of which
            > this is a part occured every 54 years and 1 month apart. The writer
            > suggested that the 763 BCE dating for Simanu is abberant, not fitting in
            > with the rest of the prior dates. He suggests July 9, 709 for the
            > correction. (Lars Wilson, email misha_linword@...) Yes, I
            > have emailed him. No reply as of yet. That's why I'm posting here. I
            > knew someone here would know the answer.
            >
            > best salaams,

            Actually, we just had this discussion here not many days ago (but before
            you joined). See <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/message/2286> et
            seq.

            Bob Whiting
            whiting@...