SAD NEWS: Tikvah Frymer-Kensky

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2006
      From Jack Sasson via the agade list:

      This very sad news came from Jeffrey Tigay
      <jtigay@...>:

      I am sorry to inform you that Tikvah Frymer-Kensky, a
      much-cherished and admired friend and member of the Biblical
      Colloquium, passed away this afternoon after a long illness which
      she fought valiantly until the end.

      Her funeral will take place Sunday, I presume at her husband's
      synagogue in Wilmette, Illinois. I know that all who knew her join
      in condolences to her husband Rabbi Allan Kensky and their children
      Meira and Eytan.

      *******************************

      [This brief profile comes from
      <http://divinity.uchicago.edu/faculty/frymer-kensky.shtml>

      Professor of Hebrew Bible and the History of Judaism in the
      Divinity School; also in the Law School and the Committees on the
      Ancient Mediterranean World and Jewish Studies
      M.A., Ph.D. (Yale University)

      Tikva Frymer-Kensky^Òs areas of specialization include Assyriology
      and Sumerology, biblical studies, Jewish studies, and women and
      religion. Her most recent books are Reading the Women of the
      Bible, which received a Koret Jewish Book Award in 2002 and a
      National Jewish Book Award in 2003; In the Wake of the Goddesses:
      Women, Culture and the Biblical Transformation of Pagan Myth; and
      Motherprayer: The Pregnant Woman^Òs Spiritual Companion. She is
      also the English translator of From Jerusalem to the Edge of
      Heaven by Ari Elon (Alma Dee, original Hebrew). ]