BCHP 4 on line (Alexander and Arshu)

  • Robert M Whiting
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2006
      From Jack Sasson via the agade list:

      >From R.J. van der Spek <rj.vander.spek@...>:

      A new tablet in the series BCHP (= Babylonian Chronicles of the
      Hellenistic Period) is on line: a document concerning Alexander the
      Great and a Persian king called Arshu, who probably was king
      Artaxerxes IV Arses, but may have been Artaxerxes II, whose
      original name also was Arshu. You can read it at:

      <http://www.livius.org/cg-cm/chronicles/bchp-arses/arses_1.html>
      or try
      <http://www.livius.org > Babylonian Chronicles>.

      It is far from certain that this document is a chronicle.
      Nevertheless it has some features of a chronicle, but also of a
      letter.

      The document is not new: it was first published by Abraham Sachs in
      1977. It is a tantalizing piece which can be reconstructed in many
      ways. This edition does not bring many new viewpoints, except an
      interesting new reading by Irving Finkel. I invite everybody to
      take a look and to explain to me what it is all about.