Re: [ANE-2] re: ancient mending of pottery

  • goranson@duke.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2006
      Perhaps:
      Williams, Nigel. 1988. Ancient methods of repairing pottery and porcelain. I:
      Early advances in conservation. ed V. Daniels. British Museum Occasional Paper
      65. London: British Museum. 147-50.
      The first chapter of his Porcelain Repair and Restoration (London,
      U.K., British
      Museum, 2nd ed 2002) is "The history of ceramic repair"

      best
      Stephen Goranson
      http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
    • Eliot Braun
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2006
        I don't recall specific studies, but you will find examples in my
        Yiftah'el monograph, so they go back as far as early EB I. I just saw
        another example on an EB II vessel last week. I don't know how much to
        study there is on this type of find. My guess is that it was done on
        vessels that were either particularly expensive or utilitarian. Good
        luck in your research.

        --
        Eliot Braun, Ph. D.
        PO Box 21 (Rehov Ha-oren 12)

      • arenmaeir
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2006
          Steve - thanks for the references - I will chech them out. BTW -
          perhaps the nicest example that I know of this technique appears in
          the fantastic Chinese film "The Road Home"
          (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005QFE5.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg), in
          which a traditional Chinese artisan repairs a bowl using this method
          (and in fact, this was the first time that I really understood how
          this method really works). I have always wanted a short clip of this
          scence to show in classes, but have never managed to get hold of it.

          Aren Maeir
          Jerusalem
        • Peter M. Fischer
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 30, 2006
            Aren,
            I wrote about the "lead-clamp typology" in Middle Helladic I-III layers from my excavations at Midea, Greece, 1987 (P.M. Fischer, Opuscula Atheniensia XVIII:1, 1990, pp.18-19). There are three types of lead clamps consisting of conical rivets with attached lead strings which were used to mend pots after drilling holes, or they were used as "crack-sealings". The holes were either of the "wall-penetrating" type or just conical holes on the outside of the vessels. It is of course possible to use other materials for mending pots (strings, bitumen, resin etc.) but the Midea people preferred the unhealthy lead. Mending rather than firing new vessels can be explained, inter alia, by scarcity of wood.

            Peter M. Fischer
            The Palestinian-Swedish Expedition at Tell el-Ajjul
            The Swedish Jordan Expedition
            Gothenburg / Vienna