Re: [ANE-2] Re: Ancient Insurgencies

  • Yigal Levin
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 26 5:02 PM
      Dear Andrew,

      No doubt that the author of 1 Mac., or Judah himself, if we consider the account to be historical, was familiar with 1 Sam. 7 and used it in order to cause his audience to identify with the similarities between the situations. In other words, if Judah's fight against the Seleucids counts as an insurgency, than so does Samuel's fight against the Philistines, at least in the eyes of the author of 1 Mac. However, there also differences, one of them being the status of Jerusalem: in Samuel's day (or, if one chooses not to accept that there was such a thing as "Samuel's day", in the situation pictured by the author of 1 Sam.), Jerusalem had no special status. It had not yet become David's capital and Solomon's Temple had not yet been built. In the story of 1 Mac., the holy city of Jerusalem was at the very center of the Jews' struggle.

      Yigal Levin

      Andrew Fincke wrote:

      DearDear Yigal,
      According to 1 Macc 3:46, which retells the story of 1 Samuel 7,
      Mitzpah was "over against Jerusalem, for in Maspha was a place of
      prayer heretofore in Israel". (translation of the Douay Bible) Does
      the act of praying in a holy suburb of Jerusalem amount to an
      insurgency?
      Andrew Fincke