Re: Jewish individuals and ethnic style ...

  • siaxares
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 23, 2006
      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried@...> wrote:

      > Dear Larry,
      > The presence of a Babylonian official named Marduka in the
      Persepolis
      > tablets is well known. But how does Marduka become the Babylonian
      name for
      > Nehemiah?

      "Marduka is linked to Modecai" in the Book of Esther in Jewish texts,
      but extra-Biblical Jewish texts linkes the story of Esther with the
      cryptic history of Nehemiah (i.e. similarities in the story, both
      hear bad news from home and place wine before the king before
      requesting his help, etc. Eventually each inspire the Jews to take
      up arms to defend themselves from their enemies.)

      Regarding the identity of the persons following behind Xexers at
      Perspolis, I found this quote by Olmstead in "History of the Persian
      Empire" page 217 "Behind Xerxes stands the CUPBEARER, who in later
      Achaemenid times was to exercise even more influence than the
      commander-in-chief [who followed the cupbearer beyind Xerxes.}"

      Page 218 notes the identity of the person behind the cupbearer: "From
      the tomb relief of Darius, carved on the the rock about the same date
      [as Persepolis reliefs], we learn that the officer who follows is
      Aspachana (Aspathines), holder of the king's battle-ax and bow case."

      Larry Wilson