RE: [ANE-2] Psalms Formation: A Request

  • victor
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2006
      [Victor Hurowitz has just this moment observed: "if anyone can offer
      philological arguments for Davidic authorship of this or that Psalm, rather
      than just relying on traditional statements, he or she should not be banned
      from posting such arguments on ANE. There may not be such arguments, but if
      there are why not discuss them?"

      Indeed. Though not necessarily on ANE-2].

      I too would prefer that a strictly biblical topic such as the authorship of
      Psalms be discussed in more expressly biblical arenas, but having argued
      myself years ago on ANE-1 that the Bible is a collection of ANE literature
      and is therefore as appropriate to ANE as any other text from the period of
      ANE's interest, and since this position was accepted and is in still place,
      I would not advocating a ban on the Bible or a biblical question now. I
      only wish that in the framework of ANE more attention would be paid to the
      zillions of other relevant texts, and that the position of the Hebrew Bible
      in the context of other writings be somehow reflected in the amount of time
      spent discussing it. We can as easily discuss the attribution of $ar gimir
      dadme to Kabti-ilani-Marduk or of Enuma Anu Enlil to Adapa or of Inu Anum
      Sirum to Hammurabi as we can the attribution of Psalms to David and the
      Pentateuch to Moses.

      Victor Hurowitz
      BGU