Ekron's goddess

  • K L Noll
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2006
      Friends,

      I am suffering memory loss. I'm looking at my photocopied version of
      Gitin, Dothan and Naveh
      "A Royal Dedicatory Inscription from Ekron"
      Israel Exploration Journal 47 (1997): 1-16.

      I recall that someone (perhaps in the same edition of IEJ or perhaps in some other journal) suggested that the goddess name on the temple inscription was Potniah, reading a nun for the gimel. I can't recall who said that or when or where. Can anyone refresh my memory?

      Thanks.

      K. L. Noll
      Religion Department
      Brandon University
      270- 18th Street
      Brandon, Manitoba
      R7A 6A9 Canada
      (204) 727-9701

    • Andrés Piquer Otero
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2006
        K L Noll wrote:

        >I recall that someone (perhaps in the same edition of IEJ or perhaps in some other journal) suggested that the goddess name on the temple inscription was Potniah, reading a nun for the gimel. I can't recall who said that or when or where. Can anyone refresh my memory?

        I think you're looking for Demsky, A., "The Name of the Goddess of
        Ekron: A New Reading". JANES 25 (1997), 1-5. If I am allowed the
        shameless plug, I would also mention Alonso Fontela, C. & Piquer Otero,
        A., "El teónimo PTGYH de la inscripción filistea de Ecrón", Sefarad 61
        (2001), 259-263, which, contra Demsky, defends the possibility and
        adequacy of the gimel reading. Though the publishing took some time, it
        was written concurrently with Schäffer-Lichtenberger, C., "PTGJH Göttin
        und Herrin von Ekron", Biblische Notizen 91 (1998), pp. 64-76, where the
        g reading is also defended. I think Hallo citates his remarks in COS
        vol. 2.

        I hope that helps,
        Andres Piquer Otero
      • Yigal Levin
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2006
          It was Aaron Demsky, "The Name of the Goddess of Ekron : A New Reading", Journal of the Ancient Near Eastern Society 25 (1998) 1-5.

          Yigal Levin

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
            Andr�s and Yigal,
            Many thanks. Most helpful.