(and another delite from Fischer) Re: [ANE-2] "Tablets of Shuruppak"

  • Christopher Conlan
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 13, 2006
      Whilst I have not seen any transparent vessels that would serve
      this purpose, I did attend a lecture on the use of hollow glass
      beads. It was suggested that the beads had been used for the purpose
      of magnification IA Assyria, though I don't believe that it was
      suggested that this was in order to read small cueniform documents.

      As I recall the lecture was at the RAI in London a few years ago,
      and was entitled something along the lines of "The eye glasses of
      Ashurbanipal". Whilst there does not appear to be any textual
      evidence regarding the use of these beads, it does appear to be
      quite a reasonable theory.

      Christopher Conlan

      --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Peter T. Daniels" <grammatim@...>
      wrote:

      > --- "Ariel L. Szczupak" <ane.als@...> wrote:
      > > At 00:44 12/07/2006, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
      > > >But whence the "meme" (if you will) "Tablets of Shuruppak" as a
      corpus
      > > >that contains precious information about pre-biblical peoples
      and as an
      > > >auhtoritative source of information on the third millennium?
      > >
      > > The tablets of Farah are of course important scientifically, but
      the
      > > only contexts in which I found them to have an importance that
      could
      > > imply attributes like "precious" and "authoritative" are in
      > > discussions concerning non/pseudo scientific narratives (e.g.
      > > freemasonry, Mormonism, etc).
      > >
      > > The caveat is that it's my personal experience, not a
      comprehensive
      > > survey.
      >
      > This is exactly what I'm wondering about. The handful of google
      hits
      > for "tablets of shuruppak" turn up exactly that range of contexts,
      > suggesting that the phrase appeared, maybe just once, in some
      > authoritative (or at least widely popular) source. (Does anyone
      have
      > vol. 1 of the Durants' history of civilization?)
      >
      > Meanwhile, Mr. Fischer also suggests, in both the Mesopotamia and
      the
      > Egypt sections, that (aside from the hollow reeds suggested by M.
      Civil