Some Qumran archaeological matters

  • ihutchesson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2006
      Greetings ANEites.

      I wonder if anyone can help me regarding a few Qumran archaeological
      matters.

      1) Does anyone know if the sections at the site of Qumran featuring
      small flat stones were repairs carried out in recent times?
      (Examples include L.118 and a section of the water course above it,
      the wall at the eastern end of L.57, and sundry locations including
      L.102 and vicinity.) More obvious recent restorations feature cement
      with indentations.

      2) Have there been any topographical surveys or analyses of the
      Qumran settlement area? I'm interested in a relative chronology of
      construction and the topography of the location is quite important
      for this. (For example, it helps to show that we have an erroneous
      understanding of the development of L.56/58, in that the current
      understanding is that L.58 was deepened below the level of L.56,
      whereas the slope of the land shows that the eastern end of where
      L.58 was excavated was already at the level of L.56 before
      excavation. L.58 was initially cut to its current depth below the
      level of L.56. If anything L.58 has been heightened.)

      3) Does anyone have David Stacey's email address? (Or is David a
      list member?)

      4) I'm thinking about the possibility of (going to Israel) visiting
      Qumran again sometime in the next few weeks and wonder if anyone is
      interested in discussing the site at the site. (Please contact me
      privately!)

      Thanks for any offerings.

      Best.

      Ian Hutchesson