Re: [ANE-2] Neo-Assyrian Sacred Tree and Grape vines ?

  • paulina albenda
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2006
      Years ago I wrote an article on the subject of grapvines vetted to a tree, on the reliefs of Ashurbanipal: Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research 215 (1974). It is the earliest known representation of this technique. The trees in those scenes are not 'sacred trees' - a different motif. Moreover, the trees with the twisted grapevines are pine trees. I hope this helps. Pauline Albenda NYC

      wrwmattfeld <mattfeld12@...> wrote: When excavations uncovered Assyrian palaces in the 19th century some
      scholars suggested that the "sacred trees" being adored by the
      Assyrian kings might be behind the Garden of Eden's Tree of Life.
      One thing that has always puzzeled me was the intricate vine tendril
      motif surrounding these highly stylized date-palms (?).

      Just recently, I came across a statement made by Gertrude Bell
      (1916) that might shed light on this enigma. She noted that the
      Arabs along the Euphrates had their datepalms "wreathed" in grape
      vines which were at that time of year heavily laden with grapes.
      Could it be that the Neo-Assyrian "Sacred Tree" with a vine design
      about it is recalling ancient horticultural practices of wreathing
      grapevines about datepalms ?

      For a drawing of such a tree cf. the below url:

      http://www.bibleorigins.net/Sacredtreeassyrian.html

      Regards, Walter
      Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld y de la Torre, M.A. Ed.
      mattfeld12@...

    • palbenda
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2006
        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, paulina albenda <palbenda@...> wrote:

        > Years ago I wrote an article on the subject of grapvines vetted to
        a tree, on the reliefs of Ashurbanipal: Bulletin of the American
        Schools of Oriental Research 215 (1974). It is the earliest known
        representation of this technique. The trees in those scenes are
        not 'sacred trees' - a different motif. Moreover, the trees with the
        twisted grapevines are pine trees. I hope this helps. Pauline
        Albenda NYC

        My error on "vetted" I meant "wedded". A good survey book on flora in
        Assyrian art is Erika Bleibtreu, Die Flora der neuassyrischen
        Reliefs. (Wien, 1980). Includes bibliography. P. A.

        > wrwmattfeld <mattfeld12@...> wrote: When excavations
        uncovered Assyrian palaces in the 19th century some
        > scholars suggested that the "sacred trees" being adored by the
        > Assyrian kings might be behind the Garden of Eden's Tree of Life.
        > One thing that has always puzzeled me was the intricate vine
        tendril
        > motif surrounding these highly stylized date-palms (?).
        >
        > Just recently, I came across a statement made by Gertrude Bell
        > (1916) that might shed light on this enigma. She noted that the
        > Arabs along the Euphrates had their datepalms "wreathed" in grape
        > vines which were at that time of year heavily laden with grapes.
        > Could it be that the Neo-Assyrian "Sacred Tree" with a vine design
        > about it is recalling ancient horticultural practices of wreathing
        > grapevines about datepalms ?
        >
        > For a drawing of such a tree cf. the below url:
        >
        > http://www.bibleorigins.net/Sacredtreeassyrian.html
        >
        > Regards, Walter
        > Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld y de la Torre, M.A. Ed.
        > mattfeld12@...

      • Robert Whiting
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2006
          On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, palbenda wrote:

          > --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, paulina albenda <palbenda@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Years ago I wrote an article on the subject of grapvines vetted to
          > a tree, on the reliefs of Ashurbanipal: Bulletin of the American
          > Schools of Oriental Research 215 (1974). It is the earliest known
          > representation of this technique. The trees in those scenes are
          > not 'sacred trees' - a different motif. Moreover, the trees with the
          > twisted grapevines are pine trees. I hope this helps. Pauline
          > Albenda NYC
          > >

          > My error on "vetted" I meant "wedded". A good survey book on flora in
          > Assyrian art is Erika Bleibtreu, Die Flora der neuassyrischen
          > Reliefs. (Wien, 1980). Includes bibliography. P. A.

          One can also profitably consult Helene Kantor's 1945 dissertation
          "Plant Ornament: Its Origin and Development in the Ancient Near East",
          available online at <http://oi.uchicago.edu/OI/DEPT/RA/HJK/HJKIntro.html>.
          See in particular Chapter 18, "Late Assyrian Ornament"
          <http://oi.uchicago.edu/OI/DEPT/RA/HJK/HJKXVIII.pdf>

          In any case, the "sacred tree" is a highly stylized Neo-Assyrian icon and
          differs extensively from the representation of palm trees in Assyrian art.
          To veryify this, look at the "hieroglyphs" from Esarhaddon's stone stele
          <http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/ANE-2/photos/view/10ee?b=1> where the
          "sacred tree" appears as the third symbol in the top register and an
          everyday, garden-variety date palm appears as the third symbol in the
          bottom register (note also the "sacred tree" on the altar with the horned
          crown that comprises the first symbol in the top register). Similarly,
          compare the palm tree and "sacred tree" on earrings recovered from the
          royal tombs at Kalhu (Nimrud)

          Finally, if the network surrounding the "sacred tree" represents grape
          vines, one might expect that at least one representation would show a
          bunch of grapes or some grape leaves rather than the fruits or leaves that
          regularly appear. The last (or at least the most recent) word on this is
          J. Andrew McDonald, "Botanical Determination of the Middle Eastern Tree of
          Life," <i>Economic Botany</i> 56 (2002), 113-29. This article is
          available online, but a subscription is required.

          Bob Whiting
          whiting@...