Re: Dual in Ugaritic Re: [ANE-2] Unicorns and the Dating of Deuteronomy

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2006
      --- Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir@...> wrote:

      > On 7/9/06, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
      >
      > > Tropper's grammar of Ugaritic (sec. 53.2) appears not to mention the
      > > contrast between duals with -m and plurals with -t, though he cites
      > > Sivan's 1983 JSS article on the same topic. Perhaps this is because
      > > Tropper considers the dual marker to be aa (< au) and the m to be the
      > > enclitic. Curiously, Pardee in his encyclopedic review of Tropper (AfO
      > > online version only) does not notice this, and even at one point refers
      > > to Tropper's "dual morpheme m." Sivan in his grammar (HdO) mentions
      > > neither of his own articles but clearly states his position on m vs. t;
      > > for him, the dual marker is Vm just as it is for every other Semitist.
      > > (What's the year of the Leshonenu article?)
      >
      > The date of the Leshonenu article is 1981/1982. So it is possibly an
      > original from which the JSS article was translated and perhaps
      > expanded.
      >
      > I had thought the dual marker and in fact so too the masculine plural
      > marker was what remained of the original PS "enclitic" m/n after nouns.
      > Is that Tropper's position? This would explain words in Hebrew such as
      > xomotayim "two walls" where both the -ot ending appears and the -ayim
      > appears.
      >
      > Why do you suggest that aa (the same as "a:"?) < au? Is that also
      > Tropper's suggestion? I thought that because aa appears in Arabic as
      > well, the reconstruction was only aa. An "au" reconstruction would
      > explain such forms as the Gezer calendar yrxw which I have suggested
      > on my blog is to be associated with the word yxdw:
      > http://toldot.blogspot.com/2006/02/yrhw-in-gezer-calendar.html

      I had just typed out Tropper's entire section on the dual morphology
      when I touched some key and the whole thing disappeared, and I won't do it again. I suggested nothing; I merely passed on what I thought T. was saying. But that wasn't it; the nominative is a^ < a^u. The dual is /-a^/, to which mimation is added. He notes that Lipinski (he fails to note that everyone else as well) says the dual is the unanalyzed suffix -a:m or or -i:m.

    • Amanda-Alice Maravelia
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2006
        I have gathered the following references to the "unicorn", following the
        Hellenic (o')
        translation of the Bible (Vulgata in paremthesis):

        1. Numeri, 23, 22;
        2. Numeri, 24, 8;
        3. Deuteron., 33, 17;
        4. Iob, 39, 9-12;
        5. Psalmi, 21 (22), 22;
        6. Psalmi, 28 (29), 6;
        7. Psalmi, 77 (78), 69;
        8. Psalmi, 91 (92), 11;
        9. Damiel, 8, 5 (?).

        The doubted word being "r'aim" (resh-'aleph-yod-mem)

        A.-A.M.

        Amanda-Alice Maravelia