information

  • Luiz Alexandre Solano Rossi
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006
      Dear

      I'm joining the group now. I'm a Brazilian researcher and I'd like some help. Nowadays I'm researching about armies, military equipment, weapons and violence in tne ancient Near East. I'm looking for images about these matters. So, if you have some material about it, I'd appreciate if you could send me. Otherwise you could tell me where I can find them (sites, libraries, books, etc).

      Thank you so much

      Luiz Alexandre Solano Rossi

    • George Athas
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2006
        Y. Yadin, "Art of Warfare in Biblical Lands" is now quite old, but still a
        classic.

        Best Regards,

        GEORGE ATHAS
        Moore Theological College
        1 King St, Newtown 2042, Australia

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2006
          Thank you for your help.

          Best regards

          Luiz Alexandre Solano Rossi
          Rua Eurico Batista de Oliveira, 88
          87053-336 Maringa, Parana, Brazil

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10, 2006
            Hi,
            I've been working in the subject also,so I can recommend " the end of the bronze age" by Robert Drews..It contains useful material for the issue. And first of all, I assume, you better read Sir John Keegan's " history of the warfare"..

            best regards

            Yagiz
            Yagiz Kir

            Luiz Alexandre Solano Rossi <luizalexandrerossi@...> wrote:
            Thank you for your help.

            Best regards

            Luiz Alexandre Solano Rossi
            Rua Eurico Batista de Oliveira, 88
            87053-336 Maringa, Parana, Brazil

            George Athas <george.athas@...> escreveu:
            Y. Yadin, "Art of Warfare in Biblical Lands" is now quite old, but still a classic.

            Best Regards,

            GEORGE ATHAS
            Moore Theological College
            1 King St, Newtown 2042, Australia
            Ph: (+61 2) 9577 9774

          • Christopher Conlan
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11, 2006
              You may also want to look over:

              Paul Bentley Kern "Ancient Siege Warfare" 1999

              Nicholas Postgate "the Assyrian Army in Zamua" (Iraq 2000)

              With regards to images I would suggest that you try:

              T.A. Madhloom "The Chronology of Neo Assyrian Art"

              R. Barnett "Sculptures from the Southwest Palace of Sennacherib at
              Nineveh" 1998

              Hope these help.

              Christopher Conlan

              --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, Luiz Alexandre Solano Rossi
              <luizalexandrerossi@...> wrote:

              > Dear
              >
              > I'm joining the group now. I'm a Brazilian researcher and I'd like
              some help. Nowadays I'm researching about armies, military equipment,
              weapons and violence in tne ancient Near East. I'm looking for images
              about these matters. So, if you have some material about it, I'd
              appreciate if you could send me. Otherwise you could tell me where I
              can find them (sites, libraries, books, etc).

              > Thank you so much
              >
              > Luiz Alexandre Solano Rossi

            • E. Adams
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 14, 2006
                <luizalexandrerossi@...> wrote:

                > Dear
                >
                > I'm joining the group now. I'm a Brazilian researcher and I'd like
                some help. Nowadays I'm researching about armies, military equipment,
                weapons and violence in tne ancient Near East. I'm looking for images
                about these matters. So, if you have some material about it, I'd
                appreciate if you could send me. Otherwise you could tell me where I
                can find them (sites, libraries, books, etc).

                > Thank you so much
                >
                > Luiz Alexandre Solano Rossi

                Sorry to be so late at tuning in:

                A suggestions that might be helpful - I don't know if it's outdated:
                PRS Moorey, "The emergence of the light, horse-drawn chariot
                in the Near East, c. 2000-1500 BC," in World Archaeology 18,2,1986-7.

                This has illustrations showing how little we really know about
                when and how this happened, and a taste of the ridiculous era
                when we thought we knew who dunnit.

                E. Adams