Fwd: Judean cap?

  • Paola Raffetta
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2006
      Dear Fellows,
      I came accross this image of Livius website: "King Jehu of Israel doing
      homage to Shalmaneser"
      http://www.livius.org/a/1/judaea/jehu.jpg
      Is King Jehu wearing a frigian cap?
      How is this cap called in ancient jewish sources?
      Please excuse my ignorance on this topic. I'm trying to learn more
      about frigian caps in the Near East. Any (online preferably)
      references?
      Thanks in advance and best regards to all,

      Paola Raffetta
      Transoxiana
      --
      http://www.paolaraffetta.com.ar
      estudios orientales - internet

      "When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is
      possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that
      something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."

      Arthur C. Clarke's First Law of Prediction
    • Christopher Conlan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2006
        You may Want to look at:

        •Lutz, H.F., 1923. Textiles and Costumes Among the Peoples of the
        Ancient Near East. G.E.Stechert & Co.: New York.

        •Madhloom, T., 1970. The Chronology of Neo-Assyrian Art. Athlone
        Press: London.

        •Heuzey, J. & Heuzey, L., 1935. Histoire Du Costume Dans L'antiquite
        classique L'orient. Les Belles Lettre: France

        Christopher Conlan

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, "Paola Raffetta" <paolaraffetta@...> wrote:

        > Dear Fellows,
        > I came accross this image of Livius website: "King Jehu of Israel doing
        > homage to Shalmaneser"
        > http://www.livius.org/a/1/judaea/jehu.jpg
        > Is King Jehu wearing a frigian cap?
        > How is this cap called in ancient jewish sources?
        > Please excuse my ignorance on this topic. I'm trying to learn more
        > about frigian caps in the Near East. Any (online preferably)
        > references?
        > Thanks in advance and best regards to all,
        >
        > Paola Raffetta
        > Transoxiana
        > --
        > http://www.paolaraffetta.com.ar
        > estudios orientales - internet
        >
        > "When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is
        > possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that
        > something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."
        >
        > Arthur C. Clarke's First Law of Prediction

      • paulina albenda
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21, 2006
          I have looked at the Omri cap "frigian" (do you mean Phrygian?) on the black obelisk of Shalmaneser III. Generally, in the period of that Assyrian king the cap is worn by the 'Syrians'. See also the carved throne base from Nimrud. For references on the above, see James B. Pritchard, THE ANCIENT NEAR EAST IN PICTURES (1969), pp. 290-291,pls. 351-355; M. E. L. Mallowan, NIMRUD AND ITS REMAINS (1966), vol. II, pp.446-450 (text and illustrations). This may assist with your expressed interest.
          Pauline Albenda