help please-lead shot,bolt or what?

  • febraun
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
      Dear colleagues,
      I'm doing some work on an ancient lead object, biconical in shape, that has been described by a researcher as a 'lead sling stone'. While I know exactly what is meant by this 'lead stone', I find it uncomfortable to refer to a metal object as a stone. My preference would be to call it 'a lead bolt for a sling' or 'lead shot for a sling' (certainly not a 'lead sling shot'. Bolts, I know are fired from crossbows, and shot from fire-arms. Does anyone have a good idea what the best term would be? Does anyone have a reference for similar objects?
      Please reply off-list. Thank you all for you consideration.
      Best wishes,

      --
      Eliot Braun, Ph D
      PO Box 21 (Rehov Ha-oren 12)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
        I think, projectile would be the best expression.

        Andras Szekely
        retired Hungarian journalist and editor
        Budapest
        siculus555@...

        --- In ANE-2@yahoogroups.com, febraun <febraun@...> wrote:

        > Dear colleagues,
        > I'm doing some work on an ancient lead object, biconical in
        shape, that has been described by a researcher as a 'lead sling
        stone'. While I know exactly what is meant by this 'lead stone', I
        find it uncomfortable to refer to a metal object as a stone. My
        preference would be to call it 'a lead bolt for a sling' or 'lead
        shot for a sling' (certainly not a 'lead sling shot'. Bolts, I know
        are fired from crossbows, and shot from fire-arms. Does anyone have
        a good idea what the best term would be? Does anyone have a
        reference for similar objects?
        > Please reply off-list. Thank you all for you consideration.
        > Best wishes,
        >
        > --
        > Eliot Braun, Ph D
        > PO Box 21 (Rehov Ha-oren 12)
        > Har Adar, Zafon Yehuda 90836
        > ISRAEL
        > Tel. 972-2-5345687

      • Robert Whiting
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
          On Mon, 3 Jul 2006, András wrote:

          > I think, projectile would be the best expression.
          >
          > Andras Szekely
          > retired Hungarian journalist and editor
          > Budapest
          > siculus555@...

          Actually, "sling bullet" is the archaelogical term of preference:

          sling bullet
          A deliberately made missile fired from a sling.
          <http://www.mda.org.uk/archobj/archobjs.htm#95220>

          Bob Whiting
          whiting@...
        • febraun
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
            Thanks, I found the best expression, 'bullet' in Wickepedia. They have
            stone and lead types.

            --
            Eliot Braun, Ph D
            PO Box 21 (Rehov Ha-oren 12)