Vale to Babylon

  • Francis Deblauwe
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2006
      Interesting essay, "Vale to Babylon," with as its basic premise "...
      that the United States has acted like Neo-Assyria in the Iraq War, and
      that the problems of the cultural matrix of Assyria are duplicated
      today." It explores this in greater depth than usual, esp. on the
      ancient side of the comparison. Comments, anyone?

      part 1:
      http://www.tpmcafe.com/blog/coffeehouse/2006/jun/19/
      vale_to_babylon_part_i
      part 2:
      http://www.tpmcafe.com/blog/coffeehouse/2006/jun/24/
      vale_to_babylon_part_ii
      part 3:
      http://www.tpmcafe.com/blog/coffeehouse/2006/jun/28/
      vale_to_babylon_part_iii
      part 4:
      http://www.tpmcafe.com/blog/coffeehouse/2006/jul/01/vale_to_babylon_iv

      ++++++++++++++
      Francis Deblauwe, Lic., Ph.D.

      Director & Editor, The Iraq War & Archaeology
      An Archaeos, Inc., Documentation and Information Project
      Archaeos, Inc., New York, USA

      Research Associate / Director, IWA-Projekt
      Institut für Orientalistik, Universität Wien, Austria

      fdeblauwe@...
      +1 (630) 664-9660

      The Iraq War & Archaeology -- http://www.archaeos.org/iwa or
      http://iwa.univie.ac.at
      Academic Page of F. Deblauwe -- http://iwa.univie.ac.at/academic.html
      Writing Page of F. Deblauwe --
      http://writing.deblauwe.org/writing.html

      Ceterum censeo Mesopotamiam antiquam muniendam esse.
      ++++++++++++++
    • Robert Whiting
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2006
        On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Francis Deblauwe wrote:

        > Interesting essay, "Vale to Babylon," with as its basic premise "...
        > that the United States has acted like Neo-Assyria in the Iraq War, and
        > that the problems of the cultural matrix of Assyria are duplicated
        > today." It explores this in greater depth than usual, esp. on the
        > ancient side of the comparison. Comments, anyone?

        I lost interest midway through his first paragraph when he claimed that
        'Potomac' was etymologically related to Greek 'potomos', "river", as in
        "Mesopotamia".

        Bob Whiting
        whiting@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2006
          --- Robert Whiting <whiting@...> wrote:

          > On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Francis Deblauwe wrote:
          >
          > > Interesting essay, "Vale to Babylon," with as its basic premise
          > "...
          > > that the United States has acted like Neo-Assyria in the Iraq War,
          > and
          > > that the problems of the cultural matrix of Assyria are duplicated
          > > today." It explores this in greater depth than usual, esp. on the
          > > ancient side of the comparison. Comments, anyone?
          >
          > I lost interest midway through his first paragraph when he claimed
          > that
          > 'Potomac' was etymologically related to Greek 'potomos', "river", as
          > in
          > "Mesopotamia".

          That's a universally known folk etymology. Does that mean that whatever
          else the guy has to say isn't worth reading?